Anyone been out in their car?

Steve P

Went out in my 2500S yesterday, first time i have been out for weeks. So went to fill up with fuel (pay at pump gloved and masked) and had a good run out in nice sunny weather. Surprised roads were still as quiet as they are, although got stuck in a queue with people trying to get into a garden centre. Just so pleased to be out though :) 

Tony.

Beer, in Devon today. Shakedown cruise of about 60 miles in all with a very nice cliff-top walk too. Even managed an ice cream!

189845BB-AC25-4960-8E09-F39406F1AEDF.jpeg.7e2c9fbaadb232f5f607d83ca9d2a141.jpeg
Petrol under £1/l (just) but traffic pretty much normal - moderately crap. Car behaved perfectly - even self-built diff seems quiet. Can’t hear it with top down anyway, whereas I could hear the old one.

Nick

• Like 3

I'm not at work tomorrow (and it's a special day) so if the weather's nice we'll head off for a walk and picnic. I'll use the GT6 for that. Might need to find somewhere pretty to go. It's a shame any beautiful cliff tops are well beyond sensible range.

no pictures as this was not a Tssc outing(really) !!  but we had 8 cars in a country run all keeping distance and ended up at Dobbies garden centre in bletchley  as we new the loo's were open , wonderful run down sharpenhoe clappers ,,,what a view out via harlington , out to the brillant display of rhododendrons  through woburn park,  spotted a good few deer 

antlers and all , down through the forest past woburn golf club  and down brickhill ... what a view .  arrived at dobbies ran the chicane entrance  

just to prove those who are able to venture outside and use the cars to go to get some  essential pansies all street legal and above board

as it was asked not to be a TSSC outing you just have to visualise a blue 2000, red vitesse ,red TR3  red and yellow spitfires, blue midge  ,an  audi and shogun.

an excellent outing simple , legal and workable ,  more should do it 

Pete

Yes, took the Stag for an MOT today. 

I hadn’t used it for 4 months and was surprised and pleased when it passed. The only prep needed was a new battery. 

I know it doesn’t need an MOT anymore, but I’m only too happy to have a professional check over my 45 year old car.

Andy S

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not been out in my Spitfire for ages - not because it doesn’t run - but because it’s blocked in the garage by a lot of sand/gravel and rubbish because we are having the patio done at the back. 
got a third skip coming next Saturday so there is a risk that the drive will be clear in a couple of weeks.  
No doubt when the rain comes.☹️

Went from Surrey down to Hayling Island yesterday and sat on the beach for an hour,pulled in to get petrol on the way home,went to the cap and...bugger.

I lost the keys to the car about a month ago,so i changed the ignition and boot lock,forgot the petrol cap.

Steve

2 hours ago, Mjit said:

Looks like I've started something at my local Waitrose -

My GT6 has just been to Waitrose to collect our weekly groceries. No other nice cars in evidence.

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

I lost the keys to the car about a month ago,so i changed the ignition and boot lock,forgot the petrol cap.

Oops! Nearest I got to that was picking up the Stag from RobSport, to whom I had given the "spare" set of keys. I didn't bother taking the main set as I knew they had the spares. On the way home I stopped for petrol... and then remembered that the spare set was missing the fuel cap key.

Pha, just do what my cousin and I did as teenagers when low on fuel in a mini with no fuel cap key - just have at it with a hammer and cold chisel...till it dawns on you that this might be a REALLY bad idea! 🤦

RBRR I did with American Bill in his dolomite. The petrol cap lock seized absolutely solid at one fuel stop. I think it took me under 30 seconds to get my toolbag, the "hammer through" screwdriver and a hammer was pulled out and the lock was undone. Filled with fuel, sausage rolls purchased and on our way again. 

Anyway, today we had a "birthday picnic" for gearbox Pete. 2 spitfires and a Vitesse in attendance (best not mention the other cars!) Tea, cakes etc consumed, then a walk to visit "the enchanted place" "the lone pine" and (to make it easy) the location of the Heffalump trap.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clive said:

Anyway, today we had a "birthday picnic" for gearbox Pete. 2 spitfires and a Vitesse in attendance (best not mention the other cars!) Tea, cakes etc consumed, then a walk to visit "the enchanted place" "the lone pine" and (to make it easy) the location of the Heffalump trap.

And an excellent afternoon it was, thanks for arranging it, Clive.

Regards.

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

25ish miles out in the Spitfire this evening, roof down and over the moors on the national limit roads... a really nice reminder how much fun the car is.

Streetview screenshot (no photos, to busy driving!)

image.thumb.png.e968036517a124b75b73284089b6edc5.png

Test run route: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Wk85FvMiFTzWu2OexpbpKWdpePM9AoCR&ll=53.76148273664534%2C-1.9375549999999975&z=12

• Like 2

Started up the GT6 for the first time in months and took her for a run round the lanes.  Lifted the bonnet to check oil and water only to find the water pump spewing out coolant.  Quick trip in the modern to Robsport International to buy a replacement water pump.  Might even have the GT6 back on the road in time for Uncle Pete's Sunday run. 

Nick    you will make it 

i am just trying to get things within the bounds of the rules and spacing to get things quietly on the move as we can ,  not anything we cant or anything 

youre not happy to do , everyone has a safe take on this , we dont mix just shout at a distance , do what you want , go where you want 

so we are ready for the summer  i have asked the pub what their plan is and how we can make it work safely if at all.

no reply as yet  but that doesn't surprise me  a new pub after a pub crawl may be on the cards 

herts and beds keeping happy 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Just returned from a walk, the green where I park has a pub on it which is open for takeaways so I sat on the river bank afterwards with my first pub pint since lockdown. Quite a few of the country pubs around Norwich are doing similar so I don't think you will have a problem finding a pub doing the same.

Regards

Paul.

Just returned from a morning out in the Vitesse, with 97 miles clocked up around the Sussex Downs and South Downs National Park - all went well and pleased I remembered my cap and a bottle of water !!

Regards.

Richard.