Vitesse seats

iana

Hi

Definitely confusing. In my case I have to decide just how to adapt MX5 bases to work. Having done a loose trial during the breakdown, I also need to raise them up to 2" to get the seat squab to the "right" height.?

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Hi

Definitely confusing. In my case I have to decide just how to adapt MX5 bases to work. Having done a loose trial during the breakdown, I also need to raise them up to 2" to get the seat squab to the "right" height.?

Pete

Raise them to whatever height they need to move freely and don't foul the carpet. It will take as many spacers as it takes... but all cars aren't the same, nor are all carpets, so experiment for the best results.

• 4 months later...

1970 Vitesse CV,

Hi all, I'm having a frustrating time re-fitting the seat runners  The front bolts are ok.  The holes in the turrets have been enlarged. Looks like a previous owner has had problems with the captive nuts. Apart from the holes the turrets are sound. What about drilling through the floor ?

....Neil

8 minutes ago, VixenPPP said:

What about drilling through the floor ?

If you drilled thorough the turret and through the floor you could'nt tighten a nut/washer on the underside as the floor slopes. Souns like you'll have to repair the turrets and fit new caged/nuts

Gav

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

mine was drilled though and used a large penny repair  washer and nut    without any  meaningful  misalignment 

a bit of alignment is less of the snag than a ropey turret and cage nut  seats need a positive fixing to be safe 

Pete

I did exactly the same on my Mk2 Vitesse, and no issues 

Paul

I put an early Herald Convertible rear tub on my Vitesse the tub was a CKD Australian assembled by AMI it didn’t have captive nuts in the turrents but Ajax threaded speed nuts, I didn’t think they were strong enough so I drilled thro the turrent and floor then drilled back up the floor to the underneath of the turrent with a tank cutter 3/4 I think then used a suitable washer and nut against the underside of the top of the torrent thro the hole to hold a longer bolt. All structurally strong but a bit of a faff fitting the washer and nut up the inside of the turrent the bolt is just shy oh the floor panel so a long socket is needed to do it up tight. The underside is sealed with a rubber grommet.

would have been easier to use captive nuts but! But I thought the larger washer and nut a stronger solution. 
I once had a work new Aussie Leyland P76 rip the front seat rear mountings out doing an emergency stop didn’t hit the car in front, but try driving a car with a rocking seat! Those seat mounts were just Ajax speed nuts welded to the floor too.

12 hours ago, trigolf said:

nut on the underside of the floor will be trying to pull up against a sloping surface in relation to the bolt?

Well yes, which is why PeterT explained that he'd used a hole cutter on the floor to turn it into an access hole through which a nut could be fitted against the turret top, where it's flat. He then stuck a rubber grommet in the floor hole to keep water out.

Thanks for your comments gents. The driver's seat's o.k apart from being hard to move backwards and forwards. There were packing washers missing when I removed it and I've learnt on this forum something could be distorted. I've reached the point now where she needs roadtesting. I'll see what the M.O.T. guy sez. ( he's just around the corner ) about the turret. He's a similar age to me ( old ) . Hopefully he will have some empathy. In fact, he has an interesting collection of old cars on his forecourt.

........Neil

• 4 weeks later...

We used these:-image.png.9fe3d310be9a2734fa4b801940ee8859.png

to square up fasteners on structural steelwork back in the 60`s. Still available online. A short section of thick wall tube under the Turret between it and the floor, will form a ridgid fastening.

Pete

On 06/01/2021 at 20:45, Peter Truman said:

From memory used on RSJ's (Rolled Steel Joists) and there about 5 degrees, got some in my jar of special washers, there heavily galvanised and they came with me from UK 48 years ago!

Usually round on the thick end

Quite common in construction industry most nut and bolt suppliers should stock them.

Adrian