1965 Vitesse 6 Overdrive Cable

hi I've got a 1965 Vitesse 6 and the overdrive works fine but I broke the cable as the switch came off the gearstick.

This is easy enough to fix but should the cable run inside the gearstick as it was run down the outside and visible when I bough it.

Is it just a case of taking the cowelling off and feeding it up through the gearstick (I know it would be a shallow channel) but is there a hole at the bottom of the gearstick to feed it up?

many thanks

The vitesse "should" have the overdrive switch on the steering wheel column

GT6+ overdrive lever position : Spitfire & GT6 Forum : Triumph ...

However, many have been fitted using overdrive gearsticks from spitfires/GT6. If a proper gearstick has been used, it will have a hole down through the gearstick that emerges low down. Best use quality wires, and leave a bit of a loop where it comes out so the constant movements when changing gear don't cause the cable to fracture (VERY common)

TRIUMPH GT6 GEAR lever assembly with overdrive switch - £36.00 ...

if you wire through the gearstick as Clive suggests   above  i would use a silcon sleeved wire ( stands heat better) the stick can get very hot and normal auto wire goes hard /brittle very quickly 

a column switch is much less problematic and keeps hands on wheel !!!!

Pete

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

and the cowls are only an approximate fit! Luckily they need trimming (I used my angle grinder, half grinds half melts, stanley knife to cut the grotty melted stuff, job done.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, clive said:

and the cowls are only an approximate fit! 

In which area? I have a couple of older ones in the spares pile so haven't seen hide nor hair of anything modern. I did notice that the one fitted to the GT6 didn't allow the indicator stalk to move fully, but it's been fitted since about 2001.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

In which area? I have a couple of older ones in the spares pile so haven't seen hide nor hair of anything modern. I did notice that the one fitted to the GT6 didn't allow the indicator stalk to move fully, but it's been fitted since about 2001.

the shape against the column. Was out by a country mile.

I've just done a quick trawl of the Net and found quite a few, but these two from two different suppliers seem even in the photograph to be quite poorly made - you can see the excess plastic round the edges, and rippling or other marks that point to cheap plastic. Better than nothing, I'd agree, but I'd love to see how they compare with an original.

cowl1.jpg.90e33aef1c96b2934a7b8ebb9a4ae58e.jpg cowl2.jpg.a31d05a40f55164b709343bd89853104.jpg

With remanufactured the quality may be wanting but with the originals now 50 year old plastic they will be brittle now.

I brought an aftermarket one around 10 years ago fitted it 5 some de-flashing reqd, and its OK looked a lot glossier than the original so treated both to a coat of black vinyl can spray and a new set of actual transfers (Thistle Soup & not self adhesive) & all looks good.

Peter T