steering rack

Seeing you can buy different thickness nyloc nuts I cant see it being that much of an issue.
But I suppose it depends how much you take of them. On the prop shaft nuts the bolts didnt protrude from the nylocs and as I didnt have any shorter ones in stock I took 3 to 4mm off them.

A  rule of thumb thread depth 1-1.5 x times the diameter of the thread but came across this recently

https://www.element.com/nucleus/2016/06/29/six-fascinating-facts-about-fasteners

Fastener Fact 1

If you’ve ever designed a part with a tapped hole, you may have wondered, “How many threads do I need to make a strong connection?” The answer is that it varies, but six at most.  Because bolts stretch slightly when load is applied, the loading on each thread is different. When you apply a tensile load on a threaded fastener, the first thread at the point of connection sees the highest percentage of the load. The load on each thread decreases from there, as seen in the table below. Additional threads beyond the sixth will not further distribute the load and will not make the connection any stronger. 

Fastener Load Table

3 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Any pictures or dimensions of the spacer. 
I assume it’s on both bolts on the arm?

No pictures, but it is as Pete has said the same as the caliper washer. It's about the thinness of two head stud washers and It only on the front bolt facing the ballpoint.

Dave 

12 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

No pictures, but it is as Pete has said the same as the caliper washer. It's about the thinness of two head stud washers and It only on the front bolt facing the ballpoint.

Dave 

Great thanks

i’ve plenty of hard steel washers so will “ shim as  required” 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

even thats a bit odd to keep the abutted faces square i would like to see a washer on both bolts 

thats  Me Thinks  

Pete

I agree, but that what they did! It may be the arm is made to allow for this.

Dave

Dave  thats a thought,

in trucks we had a TSA  temporary substitution authority to make urgent on the spot engineering changes to get out of problems quickly or revise specifications without trawling through the maze of how to do it properly .

Triumph must have a similar set up ,probably why the spacer never got added to the parts listings , done on the track process  was as far as it went 

Pete

Yes Pete it sound right. The other possibility is they were using bits out of the parts bin and then just added additional parts to make it work.

But, your thoughts sound more likely. A field mod then put into production, but not fully documented or processed I guess.

Dave  

With the front bolt removed the arm sits flat against the vertical link so I’ve added 0.162” of washers to front and rear bolts between the vertical link and the arm, that will do nicely... new high tensile bolts with the correct grip length ordered as well

02FDE3BE-3D5B-451F-B46A-E5969ABF5CCD.jpeg

C7C53C46-07DE-4575-B357-721952ACE0C2.jpeg

7967F02D-E815-4E7D-8EA3-59D097CFCE98.jpeg

On 30/05/2020 at 19:07, Pete Lewis said:

then add some decent washers ????  ( reset the toe in)    like you sometiimes do for calipers 

def   not on any parts list but the idea is from somewhere 

Can I ask what you mean by the 'calipers' comment Pete?