Car ramps - Mk3 Spitfire

1969Mk3Spitfire

Any (clearance) issues in using a pair of readily-available car ramps, front and rear, on a Mk3 Spitfire?

I seem to remember reading, but can't find it again, to be wary of ground clearance/body fouling.

Experiences and specific recommendations would be most welcome, thanks in advance

Front valence would be the issue; not much clearance there at the best of times.

You could always cheat - like I used to - and jack each front wheel sufficiently to set a ramp in under it... keeps the car supported but avoids having to drive up onto it, or off it again...

50 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Front valence would be the issue; not much clearance there at the best of times.

You could always cheat - like I used to - and jack each front wheel sufficiently to set a ramp in under it... keeps the car supported but avoids having to drive up onto it, or off it again...

Exactly what I do with my Spitfire 1500, but with my ride height at the front I'd have no chance getting up the ramp without tearing the front air damn off.

I have a pair of the hydraulic ramps, the advantage being that when in the ‘down’ position they have a very shallow approach.  If you have something incredibly low there are lead-on ramps available as well.

mine came from eBay for not much money and included the lead-on ramps (not that I have ever actually used them!)

......... Andy 

ADA138DE-D851-4CB4-8522-845FD15056AC.jpeg

• Like 2

I've used classic spindly rusty 1960's style ramps both front & rear on my Mk4 for many years with no issues.

They are quick to set up inspire much more confidence than axle stands.

I remember my Morris Marina sliding sideways on axle stands, not an experience I'd like to repeat.....

ramp02.jpg

I have 2 sets of ramps - both used a lot when I had my Land Rover Disco3- which weighed in at around 3tonnes. I can’t drive up them with the spitfire - though might be able to if I had extenders- but I also have a low start but high lift 3tonne jack which works a treat. 

and axle stands. One pair from Halfords and one pair I made myself when I was at uni. They were tested with a 10tonne press upto 7tonnes. Used a lot with the disco and now with the spitfire.  Very stable in themselves. The only issue is where they support the car.  

23 hours ago, AndyTV8 said:

I have a pair of the hydraulic ramps, the advantage being that when in the ‘down’ position they have a very shallow approach.  If you have something incredibly low there are lead-on ramps available as well.

mine came from eBay for not much money and included the lead-on ramps (not that I have ever actually used them!)

......... Andy 

ADA138DE-D851-4CB4-8522-845FD15056AC.jpeg

These look very similar to the ones I bought from “ C-J Autos” based in Heywood in Lancashire.( See website -they sell all sorts of car access equipment)

As Andy says no problem about  access - spoiler etc.

Also they are very substantial and feel very safe and secure

Highly recommended.

I've had the old metal ones for years, but I never liked the way the angle iron edges press into the tyres. I got some wider one made out of reinforced plastic for my Golf, as the metal ones were too narrow. I was dubious about them initally, but they are incredibly strong, and about the same price as the trad metal style. They have a clever little built-in roller on the front edge that gets gripped by the tyre and stops them kicking out. They also stack neatly, which saves on garage space 😉 

Gav

15 hours ago, Vanadium23 said:

These look very similar to the ones I bought from “ C-J Autos” based in Heywood in Lancashire.( See website -they sell all sorts of car access equipment)

Yep - mine are CJ Autos variety - i think they have a newer variant which has a scissor-action, that allows it to be a little shorter, raises a couple of inches higher and doesn't 'arc' while it raises. The other plus-point is they have 4 lock-off positions, mine only locks at the max-lift position - i had not seen any of these available second-hand (yet) and they are a bit pricey to buy new.

....... Andy