New loom, hollow bullets

rulloyd

16 hours ago, NonMember said:

Not true of rear lights on roundtail Spitfire and GT6. Or the front indicators on Mk1/2 Spitfire / Mk1 GT6. They all used the style Colin posted.

+1

Absolutaly, all the rear lights on my car use that style. The later crimped bullets are to small to fit

If you manage to find a genuine NOS Lucas light fitting (period red/black or red box, not the later green ones) there's often a set of hollow bullets wrapped up in the box.

David

so  harness makers like Ripaults and others left wire to be fitted with hollow bullets as an assembly line operator process in mass production then no wonder the car industry collapsed  and Triumph died ,  any boxed aftermarket units are going to  have repair bullets included but its highly unlikely OE production would faf around with them even in the 60s   bullets go back a lot further in history and from my early days some were a lead moulded bullet fitted in the harness manufacture 

were they really so backward in their production methods and processes at triumph ????

non of this matters as with a repairing   you still have to match the diameter to the connector and make a secure wire 

be it hollow solid, crimped or soldered  just avoid chocolate blocks and scotchloks 

Pete

43 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

be it hollow solid, crimped or soldered  just avoid chocolate blocks and scotchloks 

Pete

And if using those horrid squash connectors with the coloured sleeves please please please use a proper crimper and not a pair of sidecutters or pliers.
As a mains voltage sparky by trade I detest them except when properly crimped, I often come across them and the wire falls out and this is at mains voltage.
If you are doing a bit of wiring it is worth investing in the ratchet type that crimp the wire and sheath at one time for any type of crimp or ferrule.

Sorry to hijack.

Adrian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ahebron said:

And if using those horrid squash connectors with the coloured sleeves please please please use a proper crimper and not a pair of sidecutters or pliers.
As a mains voltage sparky by trade I detest them except when properly crimped, I often come across them and the wire falls out and this is at mains voltage.
If you are doing a bit of wiring it is worth investing in the ratchet type that crimp the wire and sheath at one time for any type of crimp or ferrule.

Sorry to hijack.

Adrian

they are ok if used with a correctly adjusted crimp tool. Anything else and they are useless!
Before I retired I worked for a large oil field service company, Schlumberger, in the 1980's they were having a very large expensive research facility built (see picture below) and a very large and expensive research drilling machine built. the electrical work was contracted out. One day the chief electrical engineer was visiting the control room for this expensive (£5 Million) facility and watch in horror as the 'electrician' was using a pair of ordinary pliers to crimp the terminals onto the cables.... 
The 'electrician' was thrown off the site and main contractor had to get there electrical contractor to redo ALL the crimped connections on the facility. It cost thousands of pounds and weeks of work to redo all the connections.
Therefore, if you don't have the correct crimping tool don't try to use crimped connections!

Mike

schlumberger-cambridge-research-centre-located-in-cambridge-england.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ahebron said:

if using those horrid squash connectors with the coloured sleeves

Have to say I absolutely hate them, the only good thing is the ring connectors when the coloured plastic has been removed, they can then be used differently.

Give me the good old Lucas connectors any day and of course keeps the period look.

Regards.

Richard.

34 minutes ago, mpbarrett said:

The 'electrician' was thrown off the site and main contractor had to get there electrical contractor to redo ALL the crimped connections on the facility. It cost thousands of pounds and weeks of work to redo all the connections.
Therefore, if you don't have the correct crimping tool don't try to use crimped connections!

An electrical panel shouldn't be certified without having the correct crimps.To operate a correctly calibrated ratchet crimp tool for those you need to have had a good hearty breakfast in the morning and a couple of sausage rolls on standby to keep you going!

23 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Give me the good old Lucas connectors any day and of course keeps the period look.

Got to agree with you there Richard, but if you're using the crimp version you still need to use the proper crimp tool for them.

David

23 minutes ago, Mad4classics said:

if you're using the crimp version you still need to use the proper crimp tool for them.

Absolutely David and after crimping - a hearty breakfast + sausage rolls seems the perfect way to tie all that in !!

Regards.

Richard.

Colin do those crimps replicate the original wiring loom crimps ie fold the two top lugs in and then individually fold them down locking the cable, same with the sheath anchor.

I brought a pair of crimp pliers no connectors around $35 here but they still just collapse the top in flattening it, not impressed there going back to Jaycar.

What are the original wiring loom type called

do those above do bullets

Peter T