Greetings all,

Getting ready for major parts replacement to make a 1500 Spit more of a joy to drive, and look at. This question regards paint finish on front & rear springs. Is there any reason why either front coils or rear leaf shouldn't be powder coated?

I just got a new rear spring, which is fine but the paint finish on it is pretty awful, and I am contemplating stripping, blasting and powder coating. 

The fronts are looking rough, so, along with wishbones etc, I'm looking to powder coat them at the same time.

Experience an opinion gratefully received. There are some similar questions posted in other headings.

Thanks

Brendan

Painting the rear spring, so that it is a "joy to look at"?

You can't see it when it's in the car!!!!!!!!!!

Join "Boatbuilder's Syndrome Anonymous" today!

"Hello, my name is Brendan, and I want to paint my Spitfire's rear spring"

"Hello, Brendan!  We feel your pain and are here to help you fight your deamons!"

Seriously, powder coating ALWAYS flakes off parts that flex, especially springs.

Use good quality matt black spray paint, thin coats over thin primer.    After all, the suspension is going to get dirty, isn't it?

John

I got new front springs from the club shop, they came already powder coated in black.

Amusing as John's comments are ( :lol:) The MOT man can see them! I've had advisories 3 years in a row as to the condition of my springs, hence the new ones. I think there's nothing wrong with my old ones, they're certainly the same length as the new ones,( which wasn't the case the last time I replaced them (30 years ago)) they're just cosmetically unpleasant!

Thank you, doug, I hope Brendan enjoys the joke too!

But powder coating is  still a technology for still things - window frames (in a house), white goods.    The thick coating usually applied to auto items is rigid and splits off springs.  Or rather, cracks, lets in water and keeps it there, with exactly the opposite effect to the protection it is supposed to provide.

And anyway, you are never going to bring joy into the MoT man's life - all miserable buggers, in my experience.

JOhn

I wonder why do they powder coat them then? What would be the best coating? Plastic? Rubber? My old one got splashed with under-seal 30 years ago and that's still there! :lol:

I think I've mentioned before, my MOT man used to be an apprentice at a Triumph dealership and looks forward to my car coming in. He knows too much about these cars for my liking. 

Because it's easy to get a nice smooth, shiny finish on them.

That would take many coats, rubbing down in between.

Even if the cost of that was acceptable, ever tried to rub down the paint on a spring?

But that smooth, shiny coat needs to be thick, to thick to flex and it cracks.

Underseal is flexible, but looks terrible.

As I said above, a thin coat of paint over a good, thin coat of primer for springs.

OR, grease them well.  Dirt will build up, but dirt can be washed off.

JOhn