I thought I'd introduce myself.

yes   bring it  to Duxford  27th september 

M cyl is an easy fix  is this with twin /split line as the srip is just as easy but need a pic of what you take out so its all connected and in the right way round on reassembling a seal kit 

well done with the service , pleased the fluid had a change , yes  its ignored by far too many as its not the moles you do its the seasons it seen , hot cold damp weather

pete

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

M cyl is an easy fix  is this with twin /split line as the srip is just as easy but need a pic of what you take out so its all connected and in the right way round on reassembling a seal kit 

Funny you should mention that; I found this exploded diagram recently and I'm pretty sure number 11 was facing the other direction on the cylinder I dismantled recently...

cylinderexpanded.jpg.23328ebc53617092d275d15c1280621d.jpg

• Thanks 1

My not-always-reliable memory tells me that number 11 has always been facing the other direction in every master cylinder I've ever done. Its purpose, I believe, is to hold the spring, 12, away from the end of the bore so that the inner plunger, 9, can be pulled back when fully released, against spring washer 18, thus opening the seal, 8, to allow fluid recovery.

Edit: In fact...

image.png.3c629ac410d02d0e8ac9f6c00003e76e.png

Item 3 in the above diagram from the Herald/Spitfire/Vitesse WSM looks like your item 11 the other way round?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for comments chaps,its finding the "right" rubber overhaul kits that's a bit of a nightmare. Not being xenophobic/racist call it what you like but the chinese dross that is everywhere now is not worth putting in the cylinders,luckily chatting to poppyman found a few sources of decent components to use or people who refurb to a high standard.Its why joining a forum is worth its weight in midget gems and other sweeties I still like.The diagrams are essential  if doing it yourself cos if theres a wrong way of doing it I will find it 😳Just a matter of patience,dexterity ,knowledge and good looks!! Even one of those would be a bonus!!So things to do and decisions to make,thinking cap descends on the coconut👍Thanks,Clive Cox