Newbie 13/60 owner from North Tyneside

One final and hopefully last query today :)

When I fitted the overdrive switch back on the housing, for some reason I heard crackling through the radio speaker?????

I had not realised the radio was on so I put it off and got nothing, put it back on (not tuned to any station, and wiggled the o/d switch and again I got crackling!!!??? So... it is making a circuit some where even with ignition off.. is that right? I have no idea what position the stalk is at on column and even not sure if ignition switch may have been on aux???

More testing required tomorrow. I thought I heard sparking yesterday when working on it but must have been speaker crackle.

My gawd..... what a car :)

cant say about the switch depends which way up the plonker had it fitted , but up down is in and out or  out and in depends on how may beers 

by the time youve worked it out you have forgotten why you were engaging Ha !

certainly need the OD to be ignition controlled but a D type must have  a relay because of the high split second initial engagement loads (10 to 20amp)

the relay will take this the switch wont  so the relay will have a ignition trigger line from the column switch but a permanent live from the fuse box or elswhere 'hopefully witth an inline fuse hidden or not !!!!

pete

• Haha 1

Spotted an inline fuse near battery yesterday and traced it to the front of the gear extension then got confused thinking it was reversing light related!! Shows how thick I am but at least had the right idea :)

Duuuh I'm sure it was not as confusing in the 60's. Senility?

Oh dear. Well, given the "interesting" approach the previous owner had to mechanical things, and the widespread bizarreness inflicted on car electrics even by relatively competent mechanics, you're probably going to find a few oddities in the wiring.

As Pete says, you need a relay. The contacts of this relay should go from live to the solenoid, and that's probably a direct-to-the-battery type "brown" live. The control windings of the relay should be in a circuit from ignition switch (white wire) through column switch and the inhibitor switch to ground. Which order the two switches and the relay are in doesn't matter but they must all be in series and powered from the ignition switch. You do not want your overdrive engaged all night while the car is parked up but with the gear lever over to the right by accident! If there's live power on the inhibitor switch (either side) when the ignition is off then something is wrong with the wiring.

• Thanks 1

Found the ignition switch was still in aux position! No key in.

Could start the car, open the door and the boot with a screwdriver. Just like the old days. That's it. I'm done for the day

What will tomorrow bring, apart from 29 degrees!! Toon Toon :)

you mention CT and less response , Kieth who was given the spec they wanted has given up and distanced from the job

he does at times visit our evenings at the pub when we had meetings , the operation of their revised forum is so slow and clumsy , it can do good thins if you have the patience shame it was another good source of ideas  but since the rebuild seems to have lost its way 

there again we had a COM who felt the forum was not needed after the website  collapsed one christmas and was full  of moaners and windgers   really !!! it took a  vote at the agm to get this  valuable resource resurrected 

keep asking  answers will be quick but might not be anything to do with the problem  Ha !

Pete

• Like 1

its has been over stamped DG  what was under ?? never know  

DG is 1300 Toledo 

but it has little bearing on anything  . most 4 cyl boxes are all similar and much get interchanged over the years of rebuilds 

its been modified to take the overdrive mainshaft which is common to many boxes , i dont recall  Toledo having it as an option (not checked ) 

Pete

Any idea what age it is then?

Pity I have no way of contacting previous owners (5 on log book when I signed it). Lad I bought it from must have only had it a short time as a lass was registered keeper. (Since September 2018) I have her name address and email and have emailed her 4/5 days ago but nothing back. Lad said her dad had given it to her after having it from new!!!?? (5 keepers) and driven it regularly to Cyprus!!!. There is a full set of basic spares and yellow headlight converters so this is believed.  Lad got it from a garage in Poole area where it was sitting in corner doing nowt. He seems to know the lass as he said she had px for something posh!

Oh well. Refurb continues when it cools a bit.

20200625_112217.jpg

Think your box is from 70 to 75 and you'll have to be careful with ordering spares if you decide to rebuild the gearbox at some stage as there were differences between early and late 3 rail gearboxes particularly with the synchro rings.

• Thanks 1

A bit late with a welcome (I have been out driving mine for the last 2 days)  but "welcome to the mad house" by now you have been swamped by replies, hopefully some if not all your current questions have been answered.

Nice choice of colour by the way, but i'm biased.

Nice to 'meet' you Chris. It is good to know that some cars are actually on the road!.... It will be a few more days before I get the brakes sorted :) unless their performance at the moment is all I can expect! Would a servo addition be 'anti classic?'

Servo or not servo? Oh dear! Now you've done it. You'll get PLENTY of replies on that question. If I am correct they were offered on certain models as an option. Mine doesn't have one I just have to remember to press hard. 😅

Eeeeek. Can of worms! I'll stand back and duck the flack. I am getting on a bit and muscles are weak.  

Power assisted steering....!!! ???

Naaah. I'm not that soft. I put a 10" steering wheel on one of my spitfires back in '72. :)

35 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Eeeeek. Can of worms!

No, can of worms is mechanical fan versus electric.

I'll throw my bit in straight away. Having just got back from 2 days driving in mid to high 30s the temperature needle remained for the vast part of the journey in its' usual position, a tad over to the red from vertical. It did venture a bit closer to red on a couple of occasions, stopped for a short while. I didn't spend much time in traffic jams either.

I have upgraded mine from the metal 4 blade fan to the 'hot climate export' plastic 7 bladed item. Absolutely essential here in Normandy! 😅

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Nice to 'meet' you Chris. It is good to know that some cars are actually on the road!.... It will be a few more days before I get the brakes sorted :) unless their performance at the moment is all I can expect! Would a servo addition be 'anti classic?'

Right I'll get this started then😉Servo can be good to get a more modern feel to brakes if you do find them too strange but be warned you won't have ABS and getting in a skid in one of our cars is not fun☹️