Advice on parts - bearings/steering wheel brands

77spitfire1500

Can anyone recommend a supplier for quality parts? Discovered some dodgy wheel bearings have disintegrated after only a year on the off side rear of my Spitfire.

Also looking at replacing my Moto-Lita leather steering wheel (13"/flat/holes) with a 14" wooden dished example. If I sell the Moto-Lita on eBay it looks like I'll make the amount needed to buy a new unbranded wooden steering wheel like this: 

http://tinyurl.com/pbahzrz

Does anyone have any experience on the quality of these unbranded steering wheels? And is there anywhere better to buy/sell than eBay?

Ben

Can anyone recommend a supplier for quality parts? Discovered some dodgy wheel bearings have disintegrated after only a year on the off side rear of my Spitfire.

Was it the inner bearing or the outer bearing that "disintegrated" ?

The inner bearing is a set of very fine needles that runs directly on the driveshaft, and any imperfection or wear in the driveshaft will destroy the bearing in no time.

If there is any wear at all on the inner bearing surface of the driveshadt then its time for a new driveshaft.

Thanks Kevin. I'm not completely clear on the anatomy (I've got someone qualified doing the work who hasn't got time to talk me through it today) but he's said the drive shaft has been scored where it meets the bearings, so from what you've said it might be that the drive shaft has destroyed the inner bearings... The weird thing is that the drive shaft was replaced in June 2014 along with the bearings and all the other bits you'd expect (UJ, vertical link, stone guard, trunnion etc.) - I've got it here in the service history... To break after only a year we have assumed it was either dodgy parts or dodgy workmanship. Any other ideas?

Was it the inner bearing or the outer bearing that "disintegrated" ?

The inner bearing is a set of very fine needles that runs directly on the driveshaft, and any imperfection or wear in the driveshaft will destroy the bearing in no time.

If there is any wear at all on the inner bearing surface of the driveshadt then its time for a new driveshaft.

Just fitted a steering wheel vrom another ebay source, they are I believe Springflex

very pleased with the one I have for the 2000 and had a chrome/polished horn centre to go with it

which is far smarter than the black plastic type

mountney boss has 6 holes motolita has 9 you cant mix them if you have boss already

its a solid cut alloy wheel with nicely finished hard wood capped rim

Dont go too small diameter or you will need extra shreaded wheat

Pete