No Oil Pressure Vitesse mk2

Paul H

2 minutes ago, Paul H said:

8BD2C3C6-7054-432F-A02B-2EF320471253.thumb.jpeg.43bff7588163a4685fb54514ef137033.jpegJust starting to loosen the W714/2 filter . Is it in right place or above the PRV valve . This is the same position it’s been in since I first fitted it nearly 4 years ago .

Paul 

Here’s a brighter pic 33A0F9A4-B8C5-4AFB-AA4A-5EE320C95731.thumb.jpeg.7659cb451ab1f969a33a0ad1f5779888.jpeg

Just now, Colin Lindsay said:

You can see the PRV straight above it in the photo, half hidden by the filter.

Sorry didn’t make myself clear . Is the filter in the correct position or angle with the PRV below the filter or should the filter be positioned below the PRV

Paul 

Yes, the angle of filter doesn't matter; although even with all sorts of non-return valves they do all drain back eventually, even if it does take a week or so. I was searching for a good photo - which I couldn't find - but did manage to find a diagram of how the PRV works.

tr6-oil-spinon.gif.f1f9d4b57f20109770f2c1e318e34ded.gif

I think even with it fully open it won't normally take all of the oil, unless the filter is completely stopping the flow and forcing it through the PRV since there's nowhere else for it to go. A combination of blocked or unsuitable filter and weak PRV spring?

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes, the angle of filter doesn't matter; although even with all sorts of non-return valves they do all drain back eventually, even if it does take a week or so. I was searching for a good photo - which I couldn't find - but did manage to find a diagram of how the PRV works.

tr6-oil-spinon.gif.f1f9d4b57f20109770f2c1e318e34ded.gif

I think even with it fully open it won't normally take all of the oil, unless the filter is completely stopping the flow and forcing it through the PRV since there's nowhere else for it to go. A combination of blocked or unsuitable filter and weak PRV spring?

This picture shows oil dumping to the sump. Previously it was decided that this is incorrect for a six?

15 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

This picture shows oil dumping to the sump. Previously it was decided that this is incorrect for a six?

It's a generic illustration courtesy of FRAM - don't expect it to match a Triumph engine.

18 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It depends on the oil, the pump, the engine speed, etc. If the oil is thin, the pump is weak and the engine is idling, a fully open PRV will vent all of the oil that comes its way. But hopefully the PRV isn't fully open!

4 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Just did 2 x 10 sec runs with filter loose and nothing no oil coming out of the filter housing  Do I take the filter off completely and check again I’ve not checked the PRV yet

I wouldn't run it with the filter completely removed but perhaps... double check the sump fill level, check the PRV, plugs out and crank for a minute. If you still don't get oil through to the filter then you're going to have to start dismantling.

26 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Yes, it was just to give Paul an idea of what we meant and how it worked.

It's one of those annoying situations where I really want to hop on a plane, go to Paul's house, look at the engine and work it out when it's in front of me, otherwise it's just hypothesis and really frustrating!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes, it was just to give Paul an idea of what we meant and how it worked.

It's one of those annoying situations where I really want to hop on a plane, go to Paul's house, look at the engine and work it out when it's in front of me, otherwise it's just hypothesis and really frustrating!

I'm with you on that one Colin.

Tony.

Me:
If there is no oil flowing I would worry about damaging bearings or rocker shaft.

Disconnect battery.
Take dizzy cap off and photo rotor position
Take dizzy off (two nuts) and photo position of gear drive.
Take out gear drive by rotating it.
Use a cordless drill on reverse with a long "deal" to engage in the oil pump drive slot.
Hold tight a spin pump CCW.
If no oil you will have to drop sump.

1 minute ago, johny said:

Can't remember now what the prv seat is like. Does the plunger just fit in a hole so the spring isn't compressed?

Plunger fits in the recess and spring loaded though very little tension on spring 

Paul