No Oil Pressure Vitesse mk2

Paul H

2 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi,

What size/thread/hex is the grub screw above the PRV that is pre-filter?
Is it possible to remove it without wrecking the block? They seem cheap enough.
I would like to fit a pressure transmitter there.

Cheers,

Iain.

I couldn’t find the spec in the WSM and I don’t have the correct Allen key 

Paul 

Ian, think its a 3/8th allen, an its generally tight

there enough room in thea t,run a switch

infact I  once ed a oil temp sender in thea,

the bigg bulb type

Tek the oil pressure switch oot, or the allen bolt

an put some oil doon thea, then crank

oil wont fly oot, it,ll dribble oot at crank speeds

If oils come,n oot , then yer pumps ok

another tip,  always fill filter up wid oil,

on some wid double drain valves, it can tek some time,

but can be sped up by hold,n the flap / flaps open

then screw on fast, ye wont loss much oil really

M

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paul H said:

Hi Nick I do have a oil pressure guage , 70 on startup 50 at 50mph 20/25 on tickover . After long run maybe down to 15 on tickover but no lower . 

Today I pulled the plugs , moved the oil filter carrier to vertical backfilled both holes ( centre and side) with about 500ml , dipstick now rising . No filter fitted . I do have hi torque starter 

Ran engine  , oil started to rise and flow gently over but very slowly no drama which I was hoping for . My deduction low pressure , pick up blocked ? Or oil pump failure ? 

Paul 

I think perhaps you've succeeded Paul as I wouldn't expect loads of oil flow at cranking speed. Don't forget the pump is quite small and not very effective at low revs. It's designed to pressurise what is quite a closed system so when you put the filter back on I reckon that's what will happen...

23 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Ah, but you can't get those type anymore, can you?. Bit like handy wire coat hangers 😊.

Not the old white tubular versions, those bring back memories!

You can get boring modern clear versions but you'd never make a rocket or a submarine from them. Nor can you cut the bottoms off and use them for paint, or the top half as a filler funnel for petrol, or anything else that's useful...

FL.thumb.jpg.008b2dec8056a95d976bede240d8523d.jpg

This pic tells the story 

C5F4562E-DC56-43C9-AF2A-F4BD5AEAFEA9.thumb.jpeg.bc237a5222317c649370d951743b6ecd.jpeg

The method for removing the airlock was 

Loosen the filter housing 7/8 AF and rotate to vertical , the filter is removed 

Fill the centre hole , not much will go in . I used a standard oil gun with flexi spout . Now fill the outer ring . Bubbles will appear keep filling till the level stays , could take up to 500ml . 
AA2D25AC-B7BD-40F9-9973-27150FD18D9E.thumb.jpeg.81ccd99412df57298c64d4f8c95a9ed3.jpeg

Remove the plugs , disconnect coil wire from dynamo , run the engine and as happened with my experience a few air bubbles will show from the outside hole then oil will start to gently overflow . This means your oil pump is ok and ok to fire up.

Move the filter case anti clockwise till it rests above the PRV and red tighten  Twist on filter , replace the plugs , reconnect coil . 
Start the engine and my Vitesse reached Pressure within a few seconds .

I double checked for oil leaks to find the oil pressure Union had failed , I’ve yet to find what’s wrong so removed the t piece refitting the original pressure switch for the time being.

Thanks for all input from all . Appreciated what a forum we have .

Paul 

• Like 4

Just keep an eye on the filter housing,i lost almost all the oil whilst driving on my new expensive 2.5 engine after disturbing the seal,luckily i spotted the pressure dropping on the gauge and pulled over before disaster happened.

Glad yours is back to normal.

Steve

Fantastic, 11/10 for perseverance!

Would it be worthwhile writing an abridged version of this thread with the essential information to cure the air locking and have it as a sticky thread on the forum, to help any other poor souls who have the same problem in future?

Nigel

15 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Well done Paul, big relief I imagine. I bought 3 of those Manns after the other recent thread as very cheap on Amazon. Good to know the info, if they can/do cause a problem.

Dave

It was sheer bad luck Dave, I always use Mann filters and i am sure Paul will use his and not have a problem. The only thing that bothers me is why this happens??? If Paul had not had the filter conversion there would have been no way of back filling the pump.

Tony. 

13 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

Fantastic, 11/10 for perseverance!

Would it be worthwhile writing an abridged version of this thread with the essential information to cure the air locking and have it as a sticky thread on the forum, to help any other poor souls who have the same problem in future?

Nigel

I think we need pinned items when “nominated” and more than happy to write an abridged version if required .

Paul 

22 minutes ago, johny said:

At last, well done Paul! Still no explanation of why it happened this time and if it's connected to the filter so now I'm going to worry everytime I do an oil change😬

My gut feeling is that the Mann filter played a part as that’s the only thing that was new .

For any future oil changes  I’m thinking of modifying a filter cutting a hole in the top , removing the innards so it will act as a funnel to backfill like I did for this exercise without the need to move the filter housing  With the ability to backfill I would use the Mann filter again 

Paul