Vitesse Mk2 - That was odd !!

Hello.

Did a routine oil change the other day and on starting up had the following:

1. no oil pressure on the gauge

2. green oil pressure light NOT on but red ignition light WAS on.

After about 5-6 seconds with no difference to the above I switched the engine off and left it for 30 seconds.

Tried again, same situation.

Left it another 30 seconds.

3rd attempt and all was back to normal as expected.

No untoward mechanical signs on start-up or running.

First time this has occurred and cannot fathom why.

Engine is fine, always excellent oil pressure, spin-on style non-return valve filter, same type of oil used (Millers); basically no change of usual practice which has stood me fine for years.

My only thought was the pump not picking up immediately, but could not understand why this could be and also why the ignition light came on rather than the oil light. All the wiring is spot-on.

Could it have been just one of those classic car idiosyncrasies ??

Any thoughts ?

Many thanks.

Richard.

Hello Doug.

Filter changed at the same time.

I take it you mean the return valve within the filter ??

Been running the car a few times since the above and immediate oil pressure showing.

Will be interesting to see if the same happens again when changed at the end of the year.

Regards.

Richard.

I swapped over to spin on this year in fact only a month or so ago - I think it was Wheeler dealers on TV or some similar program (Wife hates me for watching them all  :D )

They suggested adding oil to the filter before screwing it on, so I did and had no problems at start up. I know that's not always possible but mine is at 40 degrees so I could!  

Maybe that'll solve the problem the next time!

Or as Pete say's maybe she or he is just saying BOO!   :lol:

Yes, mine's at a jaunty angle too!  I don't bother to top it up though, after all, before the spin on the oil drained back into the sump, the engine churned, filled up the filter and up came the oil pressure. Now that happens once at the filter change, instead of every start.

Doug / Aidan.

Yes, the filter was topped up and like your filters mine is at a 40 / 45 degree angle; so I know there was no draining away.

Where possible the filter should be filled, it aids oil circulation and protection.

At the end of the day everything was done as it should, so I'm just putting it down to one of those things !! If it happens again I will raise the thread.

Thanks for your views, always appreciated.

Regards.

Richard.