Too many revs? !!!

Bobtaylor

Colin, you can do that to test it but it won't solve the problem. I wouldn't have thought the dizzy drive is the issue just the tacho which needs some 'fairy dust' over it. For the ardent diyer I think there is a post on the forum about adjusting the tacho.

Iain 

It does say 3.55:1 on the front of the tacho. When you start the car the needle is all over the place, on tick over it does settle down but when driving the needle has a mind of its own as the engine revs are constant the needle does settle down but it seems over sensitive. I unscrewed the cable at the dizzy end and it turns freely, so I am guessing that there is a problem with the taco innards.

As a matter of interest what would you expect the revs to be at 40mph in 4th without overdrive, I am not sure how to work it out. As far as I am aware it is a standard diff.

8 minutes ago, johny said:

Depends also on your tyres but if everything is standard it should be doing just under 2000rpm at 40mph.

That would be for overdrive (or a non-OD GT6 in 4th). A Vitesse should have a 3.89:1 diff so in direct 4th at 40mph I'd expect ~2400RPM

53 minutes ago, NonMember said:

That would be for overdrive (or a non-OD GT6 in 4th). A Vitesse should have a 3.89:1 diff so in direct 4th at 40mph I'd expect ~2400RPM

Yes sorry I used the richyrichracing site but left in the wrong diff ratio😳 Comes out 2300rpm on 155/80/13 tyres...

Electronic ignition can do weird things to some of the 1970s electronic tachos but the Vitesse has a mechanical one. I can't see how EI would affect that, short of going EDIS and losing the distributor, but if the OP had done that I think we'd have been told ;)

as its got 3.55 on the face its  pretty good that its  .......mechanical 

apart from oily drive discs i have seen the needle spindle bearing worn out that allows disc to disc contact as it waves around inside 

not a diy fix  , its replace or send to speedy cables etc for a refurb

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading this topic with interest so perhaps someone could enlighten me regarding my car, MK3 GT6.  When going at 60mph in overdrive 4th, the tacho reads 2000 rpm.  The tacho has 3.55 on it and the speedo has 6211/OOS, or 005, 980.  What the diff ratio is I have no idea but here's the question-

Is the speedo reading correctly?

Is the speedo the wrong one for the O/D - perhaps the car did not have O/D fitted as standard, who knows?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts, however I'm not likely to do anything about it, just curious!

Running on standard wheels and tyres.

Euan

Sorry, pushed the wrong button last time I tried to post!

I've been reading this topic with interest so perhaps someone could enlighten me regarding my car, MK3 GT6.  When going at 60mph in overdrive 4th, the tacho reads 2000 rpm.  The tacho has 3.55 on it and the speedo has 6211/OOS, or 005, 980.  What the diff ratio is I have no idea but here's the question-

Is the speedo reading correctly?

Is the speedo the wrong one for the O/D - perhaps the car did not have O/D fitted as standard, who knows?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts, however I'm not likely to do anything about it, just curious!

Running on standard wheels and tyres.

Euan

Hi Euan, the speedo reading is unaffected by the OD as it takes its drive from the output of the gearbox. All that OD does is drop the engine revs at any given speed but obviously your speed is unchanged. 

A different ratio of the diff will change your speed at any given revs and so give an incorrect speedo reading. On the underside of the diff there should be a number hand stamped lengthways on the front casing. It starts with two letters and, if the internals haven't been changed, indicates the ratio and model of car it's from...

Indeed.   The engine to road speed ratio for the available diffs is as follows:

4.55:1 (Courier only, AFAIK)  14,5mph/1000rpm

(there was a 4.875:1 on very early Heralds)

4.11:1   (Herald 1200, Vitesse Mk1, Spitfire Mk 1,2,3)   16mph/1000rpm

3.89:1  (Vitesse Mk2, Spitfire Mk 4, GT6 Mk3) 17.1mph/1000rpm

3.63:1 (Spit 1500)  18mph/1000rpm

3.27:1 (GT6 Mk1, 2 non-overdrive)   20.15mph/1000rpm

3000rpm at 40mph is 13mph/1000rpm, so somethings not right, somewhere.

John

15 minutes ago, JohnD said:

4.55:1 (Courier only, AFAIK)  14,5mph/1000rpm

(there was a 4.875:1 on very early Heralds)

I believe the 4.55:1 was also used on 948 Heralds when fitted with twin carbs (some coupes/convertibles?).

17 minutes ago, JohnD said:

4.11:1   (Herald 1200, Vitesse Mk1, Spitfire Mk 1,2,3)   16mph/1000rpm

Vitesse 1600 only. Mk1 2L was 3.89:1

And for bonus pedantry, the US market 1500 Spitfire used a 3.89:1 (I forget whether the US Mk4 1300 had a unique diff)

I KNEW,  I just KNEW, that someone would call me out for not getting the list of models and their diffs not absolutely, perfectly and completely correct!

I COULD NOT CARE LESS!  Goodness knows why I did it, I struggle NOT to give way to OCD when working on the car - that tiny blemish on the underside of the exhaust silencer will NEVER be noticed.  By anybody.     Here, I was only concenred to supply people with the ratios of speed to rpm.    

Lesson to self.  DO NOT provide more information than is needed!   EVER!

John

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I KNEW,  I just KNEW, that someone would call me out for not getting the list of models and their diffs not absolutely, perfectly and completely correct!

John

Dontcha just love internet forums? 😉

Richard