Jump to content

Hazard light upgrade


SixasStandard
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello All,

I'm going to be fitting hazard warning lights to my '68 Vitesse at some stage, and wondered what experiences other owners have had whilst completing this upgrade. I'd be particularly interested in what approach others have taken, a bespoke solution or one of the 'off the shelf' offerings from suppliers such as Retronics?

Any help/advise/observations/anecdotes gratefully received.

Ian 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I fitted the club version first the relay failed and replaced . Then the switch fell to pieces with Ill fitting bulb cover flying off and the bulb going awol . So in my opinion not fit for purpose . I have fed this info back to the club . I have since fitted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-KIT-CAR-Hazard-Warning-Light-Switch-KIT-COMPLETE-with-bracket/303032562097?

which although not quite the classic look works a treat easy to fit and much cheaper than the club version . Again this info has been forwarded to the club 

Paul 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I fitted the club version first the relay failed and replaced . Then the switch fell to pieces with Ill fitting bulb cover flying off and the bulb going awol . So in my opinion not fit for purpose . I have fed this info back to the club . I have since fitted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-KIT-CAR-Hazard-Warning-Light-Switch-KIT-COMPLETE-with-bracket/303032562097?

which although not quite the classic look works a treat easy to fit and much cheaper than the club version . Again this info has been forwarded to the club 

Paul 

That's useful Paul, thanks for the link. Where did you mount it? and did you take the live feed from a fuse box or direct from the permanent live side of the starter solenoid?

Ian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

That's useful Paul, thanks for the link. Where did you mount it? and did you take the live feed from a fuse box or direct from the permanent live side of the starter solenoid?

Ian

2BB3AFB8-23CC-4719-BA6C-507FB03B8F3F.thumb.jpeg.ad7e8854ffcd77f8059bbf45310d1fce.jpeg

live feed from fuse box though my fuse box has been changed to multi blade fuse box 

Paul 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning Ian,

I chose a different approach as I wanted to use a switch that matched the fan switch on my Spitfire. I ran a fused, permanently live supply to a new 4x21w flasher unit and connected the output via the switch to the Green/white & Green/Red wires at the base of the steering column to feed the 4 indicators plus a tell tale light next to the switch. There have to be diodes between these connections and the wires that run back to the column indicator switch and another diode between the original flasher and the column switch, Light Green/Brown wire (otherwise power would run back to the ignition circuit if the indicator switch was on whilst the hazard lights were running. Does that make sense? I've attached a diagram I found online but it doesn't show the third diode in the flasher supply which I think is essential.  Really simple and cheap.

Adrian

81870267_hazardwarning.jpeg.884f0c847d0af0d83755bd243641323a.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Adrian Cooper said:

Good morning Ian,

I chose a different approach as I wanted to use a switch that matched the fan switch on my Spitfire. I ran a fused, permanently live supply to a new 4x21w flasher unit and connected the output via the switch to the Green/white & Green/Red wires at the base of the steering column to feed the 4 indicators plus a tell tale light next to the switch. There have to be diodes between these connections and the wires that run back to the column indicator switch and another diode between the original flasher and the column switch, Light Green/Brown wire (otherwise power would run back to the ignition circuit if the indicator switch was on whilst the hazard lights were running. Does that make sense? I've attached a diagram I found online but it doesn't show the third diode in the flasher supply which I think is essential.  Really simple and cheap.

Adrian

81870267_hazardwarning.jpeg.884f0c847d0af0d83755bd243641323a.jpeg

Thanks Adrian, that's certainly another option to consider.

Regards,

Ian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ian a fellow club member here fitted a clubs version which looked the same as the original Lucas switch except for the red knob with black face and I must admit the aftermarket knob wasn't as good as the original so we simply replaced it with a scrap later Triumph cars original all red knob and all was OK

I also fitted the original same Lucas push pull type (ex Scrap car) to my Vitesse and fabricated the bracket and cover similar to the club option & other than the contacts requiring operation say monthly its no problem, leave it to long and the brass contacts in the switch get an oxidised coating which has to be cleaned by several operations. The switch itself is very robust.

The aftermarket plastic cover to the switch keeps it all very neat and I made mine by cutting and folding cardboard and floated super glue over it which made it very strong just looks like the 35GBP club version for nix!

During lockdown I should make another switch and cover for my daughters Mk2 Spit, I like the simplicity and originality of the Lucas multiple contact switch system.

Peter T

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Ian a fellow club member here fitted a clubs version which looked the same as the original Lucas switch except for the red knob with black face and I must admit the aftermarket knob wasn't as good as the original so we simply replaced it with a scrap later Triumph cars original all red knob and all was OK

I also fitted the original same Lucas push pull type (ex Scrap car) to my Vitesse and fabricated the bracket and cover similar to the club option & other than the contacts requiring operation say monthly its no problem, leave it to long and the brass contacts in the switch get an oxidised coating which has to be cleaned by several operations. The switch itself is very robust.

The aftermarket plastic cover to the switch keeps it all very neat and I made mine by cutting and folding cardboard and floated super glue over it which made it very strong just looks like the 35GBP club version for nix!

During lockdown I should make another switch and cover for my daughters Mk2 Spit, I like the simplicity and originality of the Lucas multiple contact switch system.

Peter T

Thanks Peter,

Just goes to show that there are numerous alternative solutions to adding this particular feature.

Ian 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found my spare Lucas switch sans the red knob I must have used it on the fellow club members switch to replace his substandard flimsy one Bummer! Not to worry someone local will have a spare there's enough scrapped Triumph saloons around.

Here's my DIY assembly incorporating the flasher an and switch, same as brought ones

Lucas DIY Hazard Switch Assembly.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...