1976 Spitfire 1500

I have recovered a few panels with black vinyl. I did a dash top but it was hard and not 100 percent happy with the finish. Still it was better than the cracked bits. I had a better result on the top pad when i filled and rubbed down the splits, then sprayed with a vinyl paint.  It will look good both colours but it will stand out red.  If you don't want it to stand out do it black, only other thing i can think of is reflection in the windowscreen?

Back to the oily bits!! I always wanted an o/d gearbox but I had dismissed the idea because....well they were always too expensive. Its always been in my ebay save list and suddenly there was a glut of cheap o/d j type gearboxes and I managed to bag one.....unfortunately its in bits, well as the saying goes beggars cant be choosers. Original seller said low mileage but failed 4th gear while o/d not engaged, there was no elaboration on what "failed" means. Turning the gearbox it seems very smooth and I cannot see any damage. Is there a common failure to look for?   IMG_20210318_171519.thumb.jpg.451fa98c5f88d9a20620b94bbeac39e2.jpg

No more information than "failed" unfortunately.

I popped to the shed to investigate a little more, spun the gears and no obvious damage, engaged 4th again no obvious damage but there is quite a bit of play in the selector I dont know if that is normal.

Spinning gears

Spinning gears with 4th engaged

Selector play

Whats the feeling looks ok or not?

Myself I think this is ok and I need to look in the O/D unit

couple of thoughts   the video of 4th gear seems it reverse

I dont recognise that link youre moving on the selector  ..what box its this supposed to be from

ie  selectors on single rail are more simpler 

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-top-cover-selector-shaft-and-forks

Pete

ive done a good few single rails never come across that link arrangement 

the remote shaft is a one piece runs across fresh air into the top cover to rotate the spools 

having overdrive has no effect on whats inside the main case apart from the mainshaft 

i dont see that set up shown in any parts manuals but that doesnt mean much 

even looked at MG https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-BHM5060R

same as triumph   direct shaft   no linkage 

Pete

yes the single rail compared to 3 rail are lower profile in non OD form so with OD, although no alteration is needed on 3 rail, with single rail the gearlever has to be raised so its linkage rod can clear the OD housing. This in turn then means the single rail has to have an extra connection arrangement on top of its casing.

I suppose the gear levers must be at slightly different heights on OD and non OD single rail cars.... 

On the subject of wibbly wobbly triumph gear selectors. I mentioned on my restoration thread, way back, about the dangerous wear on the hole at the base of my overdrive gear stick. If I were to drill it to be round, tap it send in a bolt to fill, grind it smooth and then drill to the correct size would that work? No, better off welding it I suppose!! But while the tunnel is out....??

After watching Wigan Athletic loose to Gillingham I thought I would cheer myself up by doing some shed work. Converted a very rusty wiper motor to something presentable.IMG_20210331_215606.thumb.jpg.1aa2a8cb930f4a390410ad9c728a1947.jpg

and attempted to repair the rather floppy transmission tunnel er....cardboard. I will see in the morning if I am successful.IMG_20210331_215555.thumb.jpg.5a90045db42cab8ba864c274cfc8eec8.jpg