Any plans for more categories ?

Roverdrive

The old Forum consisted of many more categories.For example , if I had a question on an early Herald Modell, I could post the question in the relevant section for 948/1200 Heralds. Thus I had the Maximum chance that at least the early Herald nerds and the respective

moderator would take notice of it and share their invaluable knowledge with us.

Any comment on that from the Moderators?

regards

Hans

• Like 2

Hans

At the moment do not worry about additional categories, there are knowledgeable people checking every single posting, and will respond as needed.

In the medium term, there will be more categories, but the initial priority was to get the forum back up and live.

Post away and you will get an answer I am sure.

Cheers

Colin

I'm preparing a list of new categories that I will circulate for discussion with the other moderators and admin in the next few days.

Expect to see a few additions arriving soon.

Initial thoughts are

Forum announcments (for the Admin and Moderators to post announcements etc)

Insurance (to discuss issues associated with insuring your cars)

Stolen vehicle reports (to post reports of stolen Triumphs)

Wanted (requests for parts WANTED - absolutely no selling)

Free to a good home (advertising parts to be given away absolutely free)

Lounge Bar (general discussion not necessarilly Triumph)

Forum Improvements (suggestions for improvements and new categories)

• Like 1

Hans

At the moment do not worry about additional categories, there are knowledgeable people checking every single posting, and will respond as needed.

In the medium term, there will be more categories, but the initial priority was to get the forum back up and live.

Post away and you will get an answer I am sure.

Cheers

Colin

Don't agree at all, I am with Spittyholly and roverdrive

I would like to see specific car categories, GT6, Spitfire, Herald etc .

There might well be knowledgeable people checking EVERY post ( is this an "ask the mechanic" thread ?!) but I for one do not have the time to trawl all the current categories in the hope that someone has posted something of use to me about my specific car.

If i post a query into a car specific category then the "knowledgeable" people for that car are the one I am targeting... there might well be a member that knows a lot about all the car models but invariably the one with the most real world answers will be the owners of said models.

At the moment the categories showing are not useful in pining anything down... wait till each of those categories is chock full of different model threads then the hair tearing will start ! :wacko:

• Like 1

The other thing that is not very useful is that within the current categories the thread titles do not always have a model designation in them... this means opening the thread to read more,,, very timewasting.

The only category that currently has a full house of thread titles with a car model is the bodywork and fittings section... most of the others... well your guess is as good as mine until the thread is opened.

• 5 months later...

Just re-joined the forum, what has happened? Only 400 odd members, a lack of categories and the wealth of information posted over many years has disappeared :( I've picked up the thread of it's all lost but what is going on? Used to be a member from as far back as 89 and wanted to dip into a few of my old posts??

I agree with the above points, the structure of this forum does not make you want to engage, you do need separate sub forums for each car otherwise it's almost pointless posting, just my two penneth.

Good luck.

I agree with Jase, it's not only a lack of categories, but also lack of members and activity. This forum really suffered a lot from the crash, maybe there should be some advertising in the Courier to encourage more members to join the forum?

We have only 479 members on this forum, and I would guess that approximately 10% of those are active. Which means about 50 active members...That is a disaster. Advertise in the Courier. Do something!

I don't think that is unusual. I am Admin for a Ford club forum, on which far less than 10% of the forum members regularly post anything. A lot of people register on the forum and never post at all.

Hi Eddie,

I’m online on 3 different Triumph forums as I’m writing this. Here are the statistics:

CT forum: 10400 members, 135 online at the moment

TR Register forum: 8800 members, 343 users online

TSSC: 479 members, 6 online (Sunday afternoon, it should be busy….)

Maybe not unusual, but not impressive. I see a risk that potential new members will choose another club / forum due to the numbers above. If we need advice about our cars then the more people we can reach, the better advice we will get.

• Like 1

How is it easy to rectify? I really do not see how. 

The club has not ignored it at all, they learnt a few lessons by making the forum open to non-members (a very positive step) and publicising the forum in the printed magazine. Links on the club webpage. What else is viable in terms of advertising teh forum? It will only grow if it becomes a valuable resource. And the way it is going it may take a while. Remember the CT and TRR forums are both mature and have a lot of traffic. That takes time.

• Like 1

Facebook is way more accesible and instant. I use it a lot. However as an archive its hopeless. We all agree that the loss of the old forum resource was a great Loss. However, lets move on and rebuild this one. I will plug it again on FB . Who wants to write an article for the courier? 

• Like 1

Hi all,

First of all I would like to mention that I do know that there are many people working hard (voluntarily) with this forum. Thanks Kevin, Mike and others for all your efforts!

Good idea to (again) promote the forum in the Courier! I would suggest addressing members outside the UK (like me…). I do not have the possibility to visit the HQ or the monthly area meetings at the pub (I wish I had!!). For us abroad this forum is a great place to be in contact with other members. However, I see very few active “foreigners” here on the forum, there must be a potential to increase the forum members this way.

Here are a few other suggestions regarding the forum:

There are usually some technical articles in the Courier in every issue, but the pictures enclosed are often quite small and it is sometimes difficult to see what is on the picture (given the A5 format of the magazine). The author of the article could add high resolution pictures regarding the subject here on the forum, and encourage Courier readers to visit the forum if they want additional (better) pictures or further information. That might attract some of the club members now reading the Courier, but not yet the forum.

Promote the forum during the Triumpfest at Donington. Have a Forum-table where we can meet the famous Pete “TenThousandPosts” Lewis and get his autograph!  :D  Reward those that contribute a lot here on the forum.

A bit more drastic, but needed in my opinion: Let the top management within the club (or forum Admins?) brainstorm and do a SWOT analyse regarding this forum (SWOT = Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats). What are the strengths with this forum compared to other Triumph forums? What are the weaknesses? Opportunities? This would give a good picture of the situation, and then make sure that there are management commitment (and actions) to address the things discussed. I think the long time survival of the club is partly depending on the success (or failure) with this forum and/or the homepage. Especially since we need new younger members who care a lot about the internet.

Just some thoughts…

Regards,

Roger.

• Like 1

How is it easy to rectify? I really do not see how. 

The club has not ignored it at all, they learnt a few lessons by making the forum open to non-members (a very positive step) and publicising the forum in the printed magazine. Links on the club webpage. What else is viable in terms of advertising teh forum? It will only grow if it becomes a valuable resource. And the way it is going it may take a while. Remember the CT and TRR forums are both mature and have a lot of traffic. That takes time.

To expand - separate forums for each car. It worked before and to be honest when I logged on for the first time in a few years I thought I had hit the wrong page. It looks like a sub-forum. A little bit of tinkering and it will be more welcoming. Opening to non-members has to be a must, I see no reason to close any section of the site to non-members unless you want to lose potential income. Member still receive the courier and other bits and pieces as part of their membership.

I hope it changes to support the development of the club.

I miss the spotted section from the old web site. I've seen half a dozen Triumphs, new to me, in the last few months but no where to tell anyone. Not many cars on the old spotted link were claimed, "Hey that was me!" And, It always gave me an optimistic feeling that there were more Triumphs out there just waiting to be reeled into the club.

Lets have a list of new categories that people want and we will consider adding them.

I for one am anti having specific car sections for most stuff related to the specific models - I don't want to see stuff about engine problems, trunion problems, carburation problems, drive shaft and diff problems, brake problems etc spread around sections for Herald, GT6, Spitfire, Vitesse etc, as they are all pretty much identical regardless of the model.

So lets get the list going.....