Any plans for more categories ?

Roverdrive

Most in my area are for model related sections

Many dislike trawling through the content to find 'their' particular interest

Despite the fact that "their particular interest" at any given moment is likely to be an identical problem on most small chassis Triumphs, so a solution to the Herald owners brake problem may be in a Spitfire section, but they wont look there because they have a Herald, so the question gets asked again in the Herald section, yet we have a "Braking System" section where the they should find the answer and have a much larger pool of people who are likely to answer any question they pose but they wont look there because its not model specific - rather strange, but each to their own.

The suggestion for a "by model" section is right in my humble opinion, then I can dip in or out as I wish offering advice if I can. In the short term as others have said at least start the topic by being model specific so we can identify where we mau have an interest or be able to offer advice.

I dont visit very often as I find it a pita to trawl through every post to see what it relates to.

For me it does not matter at all if the categories are based on systems or models, I'm more concerned about the fact that we are 400+ members on the forum, and it should be 4000. If model based categories would increase the number of members, then make them! But anyway, the number of members seems to increase (slowly) and some improvements has been done to the forum. Ten members online when I write this, also an improvement  :P  (6 last time...)

Regards

Roger.

The forum has only been live for a few months and is growing fast.

When you look at some of the competition, you may think they have a lot of members, but in reality they don't have a lot of "current" members.

On the forum you quoted, there are thousands of members who joined and left, so there are probably only a few hundred who actively read the forum and a small handful who actually post.  The "guest" counter over there is also rather unreliable and often significantly exaggerates the real number of guests actually actively viewing their forum.

We have suffered from two catastrophic crashes in the last few years, and lost all the forum history, so we need to rebuild and get going again.

The last forum was hacked by Russian hackers who infected it with malware - because it was already on its last legs and due for imminent replacement, it was shut down, rather than wasting money trying to sort it out.  Although there were apparently back ups of the forum data, we have been unable to extract these from the "company" that was hosting the website, and even if we could get them they are encoded and compressed and would require an immense amount of work to extract anything meaningful.  The bottom line is, that the choice of Joomla and Fireboard last time around was a big mistake that has not been repeated.  The current software is probably the best supported in the industry - it is the market leader for forum software, and we pay a reasonable price for it, and its hosting, rather than using freeware like we did last time - hopefully lesson learned.

Hi Kevin,

Yes, I agree that the number of members can be misleading information. There are probably a lot of people who join, and only visit the forum once and never return etc. I guess the number of members online at any given time tells more about the forum status, and also if you compare "recent posts" and see if the last post was a few minutes ago, or a few days ago. But there has been a lot of progress here on the forum lately, and it is groving as you mention. You and all the other moderators do a great job. I just wish that there would be a little bit more commitment and actions from the club management regarding this forum, they don't seem to be very supportive. At least not here on the forum.

Cheers,

Roger.

I miss the spotted section from the old web site. I've seen half a dozen Triumphs, new to me, in the last few months but no where to tell anyone. Not many cars on the old spotted link were claimed, "Hey that was me!" And, It always gave me an optimistic feeling that there were more Triumphs out there just waiting to be reeled into the club.

I created a website http://triumphspotting.com/ back in November to do what you suggest. I tried to promote it here, on Facebook and to CT in the same way. No-one interested, indeed more negative comments than anything so I've given up promoting it. Luckily I already had the hosting so it only cost me a couple of quid for the domain name. ( I had no intentions of making money from it BTW!)

My idea was to do something along the lines of http://www.bentleyspotting.com/ which is a thriving website with lots of interest and positivity.

Sometimes it's just not worth bothering trying.... someone will always find a reason to put you/it down or complain  :( maybe it's a similar thing with the forum?

I for one am anti having specific car sections for most stuff related to the specific models 

I'm with you for the reasons stated in post 26.  I've got my account set up to show New Content and from that list you can fairly easily see what's what.

C.

We have only 479 members on this forum, and I would guess that approximately 10% of those are active. Which means about 50 active members...That is a disaster. Advertise in the Courier. Do something!

The problem is that there is always a core of members who are active, and a lot more who read but don’t feel like posting anything, or don’t feel the need to. This is sometimes to the good. Give people a forum and enough time, and the idea that they have to post to increase their score or title on the forum, and we end up flooded with endless variations of questions like: What wheels will fit my car? What seats will fit my car? What colour should I paint my car? Once might be informative but there are many similar posts appearing, and they just get tiring - all we end up with are endless photographs of people’s cars with minor variations.

I’ve no problem with interesting posts such as: what music do you listen to while driving? What’s your favourite stretch of road?  Have you see this car on eBay? etc - a bit of good banter and some great interesting tunes, cars or places appear, but after seeing millions of variations over the years of: “Will these wheels fit my car? Will THESE wheels fit my car? Surely THESE wheels will fit my car?” I really have to bite my tongue… :)

So: less can definitely be more…. 

• Like 1

I guess this only goes to prove that we are all different. I prefer repeats if they are car specific. I know many will disagree with this but I have no interest in other models except the spitfire regardless of their obvious links. I imagine there are many who would prefer to discuss Heralds and issues relating to them in their own section. Why not cater for all, you still have recent posts appearing down the screen so it's covered for those who wish to use the search facility?

At the end of the day these are only suggestions (from 25+ years of triumph ownership), a bouyant forum gives potential members confidence in the club. I may even re-join ;)

The problem is that there is always a core of members who are active, and a lot more who read but don’t feel like posting anything, or don’t feel the need to. 

The same thing is true of the Facebook group there are 1625 members last count, but hardly any contribute on a regular basis.

The other think with the facebook group is that you cannot categories the post, this is not a criticism of the forum its just not something fb do.

Aaron