Herald gearbox noise

Webbo

Hi , I have been restoring a 13/60 and have fitted a new clutch and thrust bearing . All works well but there is a whirling noise coming from the gearbox which stops when I Depress the clutch. Is there a gearbox issue and do I need to be alarmed? Thanks

Does the noise change if you just apply a light touch to the pedal

this could be a throwout bearing problem

if its only stops with a full pedal press then its gearbox related

a whirring woild be a bearing failing

Bear in mind

there is always some gear noise , if the tunnel is off it can be quite alarming as a normal even at idle

pete

Hi Pete - thanks for the response. The noise stops when the pedal is fully depressed. Maybe the fact that the tunnel is off highlights the issue. I was thinking it might be the lay shaft bearing. Could this be a possibility?

Hi Webbo

It sounds like the release bearing, I have had this problem with new bearings.

Did you have this noise before you changed the clutch?

There is always some whirriing noise from the gearbox when in neutral with the engine running

Hope this helps

Thanks Paul,

It seems to be worse in neutral. It did make a noise before I changed the thrust bearing, but I thought it was the thrust bearing that was worn ( which it was, when I took it out). I appreciate your input - really useful.

Webbo

To eliminate gear backlash chatter
when idling dont use clutch just load 3rd gear synchro by patial engaging the stick into 3rd
the baulking will load the cluster as some of the constant mesh noises, it should go agoog bit quieter while you load the gear lever

yes cluster needles and worn spindle along with the input shaft bearing will cause a good racket if worn or debris bound

neve stand a used box on its stem gear as all the oil bound debris will drain into the stem(input) gear bearing,

pete

if all else ends up with a strip down ,the weedy spigot on the end of the mainshaft has often given out this is the worse weak link in the gearbox.

this allows the end of the mainshaft to loose its support and backlash , baulking , clashing , 3,rd synchro letting go all become apparent 

and it goes quite in 4th 

Pete

Hi Pete, think It will end up with a strip down at some stage as I have just discovered that there is oil getting into the bell housing and I suspect the crankshaft oil seal has worn . As I have just put the gearbox back and am in the process of spraying and getting it ready for an mot in August I probably won't be doing that for a while , maybe during the winter. Incidentally can the crankshaft oil seal be changed with the engine in situ? I am based near Banbury Oxon, thanks for your input.

Im often up your way as familiy in Bloxham

Bell hsg oil is it black from engine or pongy from gearbox

gearbox probably has a scroll seal which can leak if overfilled or on a steep hill

the lower bolt bell to gear case must be sealed or it will let gear oil in the bell hsg

you can change the rear engine seal in car once the flywheel is off. The seal carrier is ally dont over tighten the sump bolts on refit

check it as some are also scroll seals which cant wear but can get clogged