Unkel Kunkel’s heater

Unkel Kunkel

About a hundred years ago, there was a concern that “catching”a  “ cold“  from  “drafts” or getting “chilled” could lead to a (whispered)   “something worse”, so  this was an advertising angle - not just about keeping comfortable.

The Spanish ‘flu pandemic was a recent memory and bacterial  pneumonia  and TB were  pretty much untreatable.

(Incidentally the effectiveness of   hot air from the radiator rather fits in with what John D says about heat coming through our Triumphs’ gearbox tunnels being mainly from the under bonnet sources esp,  radiator rather than the exhaust pipe)

So, get a Kunkel this winter!

5F7F9BB5-23FD-453B-B70B-C01626D46190.jpeg

On my first mini the heater was an extra. 

Dad had a petrol driven heater on his USA VW Fastback, -10F to +70F in 30 seconds, mother loved it. When the VW went to the scrappie Dad took the heater of and his brother installed it on a Vauxhall in darkest Scotland.

Doug

A friend of mine has a Ford Model T it has an extra that was aimed at the travelling salesman/representative. An oven. Basically a metal box on the exhaust manifold, you put your lunch stew or whatever in it and after driving around all morning you have a hot lunch, yummy 🤢.

I also remember the heater in Minis being an extra, oh boy! I am old.

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

On my first mini the heater was an extra. 

Dad had a petrol driven heater on his USA VW Fastback, -10F to +70F in 30 seconds, mother loved it. When the VW went to the scrappie Dad took the heater of and his brother installed it on a Vauxhall in darkest Scotland.

Doug

Eberspacher or whatever petrol-fuelled interior heater; I remember trying to fit one to a camper and giving up in case I set the thing on fire.

One of our local members used to keep sausage rolls wrapped in tinfoil on the manifold of his GT6; when we got to our lunchbreak on whatever run they were always hot. I was always waiting for him to open the bonnet and find they had dropped off somewhere along the road.

11 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Many a person caught worse from riding in an unheated automobile.

"I only did it to keep my hands warm..." :)

Love the title, though... "Unkle Kunkel's Heater".. sounds like a Dostoyevsky novel. They'll make a movie of it next.

Ha! 

I was thinking about that.. the Unkel  Kunkel  thing.

The name( not the in- car entertainment you alluded to  ...of course), but.. 

And not a movie, either Colin , but if I knew  how to change my  username..  I think this would be me, somehow....”  Unkel Kunkel”- I like it .

My present user  name is really boring.It only came about because... I was looking  at the Period Table ..and OK , I know .. Sad ****  - no, it’s just too boring to go on -someone might die.

Time for a change.