What you can find on the internet

Mathew

Thanks for that Mathew, very interesting indeed! I noticed the new Spitfires have tape on the roof to stop water getting in and the red Stag's steering wheel seems to be on cock-eyed... not a lot of paint going on the Dolomite doors/ interiors either. 

32 minutes ago, Paul H said:

With all the QC why did they rust ?

Paul

It was more or less expected in those days; I remember Fiats and Datsuns rusting almost from new. The Triumph standard was pretty much the same as everyone else's. Cars were meant to last 5 - 8 years at best. We tend to forget that these days with all of the advances in technology and metal preservation. 

The problem is all those lap joints spot welded together.  Paint is not there to help but moisture can get in - the end !!

During this lockdown I have had to do a few 'rust' induced repairs. At the rear of the offside sill I had to join the floor repair section to the wheel arch repair section.

Rather than put a fold on the floor repair and spotweld a lap joint I decided to do a 'T' weld. So there is no overlap to trap water and the 'T' is welded on both sides so is strong.

I then had a crackers moment at the front end of the off side sill. The sill was quite rusty but there was also a rust hole in the bottom of the wing where it over laps the sill.

There is a repair section that makes life easy but it is mild steel. So I made a repair section out of 20SWG stainless steel.

The joint between the wing and the repair section is a simple butt.  The idera here is the a butt joint will not be subject to galvanic corrosion etc and as the weld will be away form the serious moisture/weather it will last better.

I then thought about the bottom of the sill on both the inner and outer sections. These area can rusty quite merrily. How about replacing the bottom 1" with a stainless steel strip.

My only problem was to use mild steel welding wire on the wing. However this shouldn't be a problem in the short term

Now , what else can I bu99er up.

Roger

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The title of the thread did ...concern ... me somewhat; if you search for Triumph you'll find they also make underwear, which can bring up a lot of interesting photos, and if you remove the 'safesearch' option you'll find a lot of people who haven't bothered to wear theirs.

Have you been on Doug's 'other' website again? I keep trying to find it but no joy as yet!