Sorry for the outage

KevinR

There’s back to back midsomer murders, they were on a week ago so we’ll barely remember them. 😡

I can’t believe we have to pay for this pile of corona inducing bat’s excrement! I listen to the radio more and more.

Daughters both have Netflix and don’t pay for TV.

Broadcast TV’s days are numbered! 

Doug

• Like 2

Good this was solved quite quickly , having been involved when the last website crashed and  the one before that,    anything that disappears in a blink gets the worry beads working 

it took a lot to get this one up and running and its proved again to be a significant resource for many     but  someone   acted quick when the plug got pulled  ..........

brilliant its back after a short outage    well done  

Pete

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

I reckon Kevin forgot to put 50p in the meter ready for the weekend.

As I said at the top, it wasn’t anything I did or didn’t do !

Fortunately it was sorted quickly, but it meant that a couple of the Club Directors had to spend the morning making phone calls to Invision in the USA to get it fixed.

• Thanks 1

As a result of this outage, myself and the Club management have put a reminder in our diaries for mid May 2024 to ensure a critical bit of information Is updated to stop the same thing from happening again in July 2024.

6 hours ago, KevinR said:

.... but it meant that a couple of the Club Directors had to spend the morning making phone calls to Invision in the USA to get it fixed.

So do all our posts go via the States? That explains why it takes my screen so long to refresh. Donald must be reading them all before approving them by executive order... no wonder he's gone grey!

I - as usual - thought it was just me; I'd just watched the 'Cat and toilet roll' video in the Lounge section and assumed my security had blocked something untoward. After an hour scanning, cleaning and deleting cookies I gave up and went off for the day. Just got back and glad to see we're up and running. The Mac probably needed a good cleanout anyway.

18 hours ago, Badwolf said:

So do all our posts go via the States? That explains why it takes my screen so long to refresh. Donald must be reading them all before approving them by executive order... no wonder he's gone grey!

Invision is the forum software and is american. They don't necessarily host the forum - in fact I would be very surprised if they did. I used to admin a photo group and used it but the hosting was in Europe. My own website is hosted in Germany as it happens - for some reason UK hosting is quiet expensive.

7 minutes ago, KevinR said:

The TSSC Forum is hosted on one of Invision's own server services.

A ping shows it to be at 13.249.39.3, which Geolocates to Cloudfront server in the USA.

Club Triumphs website Forum must be located hosted on Pluto?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KevinR said:

The TSSC Forum is hosted on one of Invision's own server services.

A ping shows it to be at 13.249.39.3, which Geolocates to Cloudfront server in the USA.

Hum. I guess per member the cost is quite low based on the lowest concurrent users and the membership of TSSC - but they advertise it as for personal use too - you would have to be pretty well healed or do a lot of ecommerce to cover the cost of hosting! 

Bots are just the way the internet seArch engines work.  Some forums and I’m sure invision will be similar allow you to turn off areas that you don’t want them to search. Committee member areas or specific club areas for example.  And as long as the bot comforms to the standard they will not go in.  But it’s only by standard. 

'Cookies' are worse; I was on a newspaper site recently and they would not let me choose - it was accept or get lost. They had 174 'partners' who were interested in what I was reading. Some sites are sneaky in that they will hide cookies on your computer so that you can't get rid of them, and they will perpetually return even if you remove them all.