The eBay oddity thread - heroes and villains

Colin Lindsay

I've amended the name of this thread as it's handy to be able to highlight good cars, or discuss potential calamities that members should run away from, very fast....

As you can see on this description, the "new floorpans hold water"...  The seller mentions both a Vitesse, which is running but needs work, and a Herald convertible, which he is intending to tinker with, but I've no idea which one this is... I know which one I hope it is, though... however £4000 seems a tad optimistic?

s-l1600-18.thumb.jpg.4ec0ef8407fe602c0879e5d024cccf89.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-Triumph-Herald-convertible-plus-MKII-2Lt-Vitesse-saloon/274427608890?hash=item3fe528ff3a:g:1AgAAOSwja1fFJgg

The price is a bit optimistic but seems to be in line with sellers other wares.

Undeniably, there is plenty of “life “ left in this car’s interior, as shown  the   photographic evidence, but being  able to hold sufficient moisture / water to grow weeds  is an unusual boast  for the soundness of a car floor , as is the the thickness of moss on the seat being a sign of the health of the upholstery.

We are not  indulged  by further  pictures- but reassured,  it has a Spitfire engine.

I note a amongst other bargains that the gearbox  and  overdrive  on offer  has the innovative  replacement for the clutch pivot pin -an old engine valve.

The price  of anything is determined by the market - and that depends on  what someone , somewhere, is willing to pay.

Caveat emptor.   

9 hours ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

We are not  indulged  by further  pictures- but reassured,  it has a Spitfire engine.

That's what I found strange - the seller is selling a Vitesse and a Herald, one of which is worth £4000, but this is the only photo of either? Good photo, though. The weeds are in perfect focus.

"Wow! Rare opportunity to get into the classic car scene without scaring your bank manager (and Wife). I purchased this car recently with the intention of restoring it but my circumstances have changed so I am letting it go. I could have washed and polished it but I know how you all like to see them as they are. It has been sat in a field for approximately 3 years, it did drive there but hasn’t been started since and I am not going to get it running. It seems that a lot of Vitesses have been scrapped, and restored ones fetch strong money (£8- £15,000) so a golden opportunity for someone."

A wash would have improved things immensely - I think we prefer to see the car under all of the grime - but sections of adverts that claim: "good examples of these cars can fetch ££££££s" always makes me wary. No doubt the bidders will know the worth.

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Isn't that the one that was parked on some land and needed moving urgently or something? Month or 2 ago.

Ah, thought I'd seen it before.  Looks like a reasonable start point though hard to tell under the filth.  Seller presumably worries that washing it will spoil the "barn find" effect and reveal more defects.....

As to the other one - it is suspiciously like that other nutter mentioned before, though he was usually more elaborate with his descriptions.  Perhaps this gent is being pressured to sell his treasures by the dragon in his life and isn't trying too hard.....

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Perhaps this gent is being pressured to sell his treasures by the dragon in his life and isn't trying too hard.....

Nick

This describes life on so many levels. Its understanding of the dragon that's the most complex. Its like when you understand the true meaning of any argument. Too deep , I'll get my coat.

To be fair I found this gem on a video of rare cars.  
48E052AE-031F-42BA-B06B-BD5683F04D7E.thumb.jpeg.d46bd4ccf493b8deb83c2606773e7029.jpeg

which in this condition (define condition- looks like a lot of rust held together with rust to me) sold at auction for $1.6M (or was it $1.9M)

They did say what it was 1935 rings a bell and  is French  

I really don’t know how much of the original would be left after a restoration. But I Can’t see it being much!

OK, got it.  1949 Talbot (my guess) Lago T26 Grand Sport.  They looked like this:

1949 Talbot-lago T26 Grand Sport - The Bid Watcher

One of only twelve ever made.  All Talbot-Lagos were hand built but that rusty heap was something even more special, a one-off, with different side styling

And this one will be made again, I suppose, although as you say, there won't be much left of the original!

On 20/07/2020 at 17:27, Colin Lindsay said:

As you can see, the "new floorpans hold water"...  The seller mentions both a Vitesse, which is running but needs work, and a Herald convertible, which he is intending to tinker with, but I've no idea which one this is... I know which one I hope it is, though... however £4000 seems a tad optimistic?

s-l1600-18.thumb.jpg.4ec0ef8407fe602c0879e5d024cccf89.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-Triumph-Herald-convertible-plus-MKII-2Lt-Vitesse-saloon/274427608890?hash=item3fe528ff3a:g:1AgAAOSwja1fFJgg

Price has dropped to £2000 and it’s no longer a Vitesse and looks like the floor pans have been mowed 

Paul 

On 22/07/2020 at 15:31, JohnD said:

Link us to the video and maybe we can catch the name.

Sorry John, I've had the week off work and have spent it in the garden finishing off the patio and surrounding garden - and finally today moving stuff in the garage and chucking some stuff into the skip!

Yes that sounds right in terms of the make of the car - the video was one I saw on YouTube - I was just going to say I'm not sure I could find it again - but looking at my screen grab the title is on there!

Lovely panel gaps, though, and does seem quite solid. Just realised that there are no side trims at all. I wish he had posted a few more photos; I'd love to see the interior but I'm assuming he's listed it as a 13/60 due solely to the Spitfire engine fitted, and not that it's really a 13/60 with a 1200 bonnet?

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Practical Classics Magazine restoration for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Herald-convertible-13-60-1970/293691671052?hash=item446163420c:g:mmoAAOSwmNFfN7lM

I remember this one from the magazine; must dig them out and re-read the restoration.

Interesting in the background the spitfire, do you remember when lots of cars had pin stripes, my first spitfire was java green with a black pin stripe. You don't see much pin stripping now!

On 02/08/2020 at 12:45, Anglefire said:

Near concourse? Near as in it has gone all the way around and back again? 🤣

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Herald-1200cc-Convertible-much-regretted-sale/224119998749?hash=item342e97c91d:g:rtsAAOSwU49fOSxD

Another along the same lines. Whilst it may have been near concours in 1989, it has suffered a bit since.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1968-Triumph-HERALD-1200-MANUAL-only-27miles-from-new-Petrol-Manual/224096108493?hash=item342d2b3fcd:g:G3YAAOSwVW1fQTq0

Only 27 miles from new Herald 1200; however it looks to have received a new exhaust silencer some time back, unless the sticker never came off the original?

Also: an absolutely amazing Bond that I'd buy myself:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bond-Equipe-2-0L-Overdrive-1968-Triumph-based-ex-cond-will-PX-Classic-M-Cs/133501389036?hash=item1f154d88ec:g:wZkAAOSwv9pfQqvV