Oh no ... it'd my diff!

yes guys, I had a leak as I disconnected the pipework to take the axle off to do the uj.

As I said, I did the recommended method of clingfilm over the master cylinder and only got, as I said, about 100 cc in my catch can 'drip tray' but when I finished the uj job I found the master cylinder was empty!!!???  (it was overnight but no more fluid in drip tray).

No Alex, I did not 'obstruct the brake pipe' because I had to undo the hard pipe and also I do not like 'nipping' flexies....how would I obstruct the hard brake pipe?

So.... not a problem then ?  :)  I'll just open all 4 nipples, attach pipes with one way valves (got no mates to open and close nipples)

If I do them one at a time which order should I do them? 

My brake pipe manifold seems to be under the fuel pump/dynamo area so the corner I am working on (osr) is further away then nsr then osf & nsf.

How do I bleed master to manifold (just in case)?? :(

You know what it is.... I'm getting a bit 'fed up' with this.... I only wanted to rescue a real car and have a run about for the summer but what with the porous roof, the uj (s) the steering column movement, ignition barrel falling out  and the back of the windows not sealing to the roof, along with various small bodywork 'holes' found and paintwork really ruined by it being in storage for so long each year with a heavy cover rubbing off all the high points I am getting a bit..... whats the word??

Actually quite pleased that I have done some repairs and getting much satisfaction :)

Also it has been very well maintained,..... grease on handbrake cables, grease/hypo90 on all joints, undersealed  and good carpets badly fitted! recent pads and shoes and 'track rod ends' newish battery etc etc also the seats pretty well unmarked, and it has a recon engine.with only 26k .... shrug.... should I be happy 

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

My brake pipe manifold seems to be under the fuel pump/dynamo area so the corner I am working on (osr) is further away then nsr then osf & nsf.

Longest pipe to shortest; in the Herald the pipe runs under the heater to the passenger side but then runs back across to driver's side across the chassis, same at the rear, so driver's side rear, passenger side rear, then driver's side front and passenger side front. You shouldn't have to bleed anything else. Just keep the MC full as you work, and make sure it doesn't drop to empty as you're doing the bleeding.

:)... I think that is where I was at, .........pleased it is not Left hand drive :) :)

Thanks Colin. I await with trepidation a parcel for Jeff 

I used to live at 289 *** it was the longest road in what was Northumberland (pre '74) so if you just put 289 N'land, it would get there...

Now, I'm just round the corner and we are bloody north tyneside, in tyne and wear.... which does not even exist.... oh for a border at Hadrians wall :) 

Put your jarmies on and a dressing gown and get stuck in man!

I was up 'till 9pm yesterday and again at 6am without my boiler suit on I put it on at 10 when wife came down and at 2pm she brushed me down with a rubber tipped brush as we had to pick her 90 year old mum up from hospital. That was novel!

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I have waited all day for a package coming via Hermes. Original timescale 10am-4pm. Then 4-8pm. Just arrived too late to start anything meaningful

My wife bought an Apple pencil to write on her iPad straight from the Apple Store, we paid an extra £4.90 for next day delivery... that was last Monday. Estimated delivery is 7th August. 

Jeff your parcel was Royal Snail so maybe tomorrow?

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I have waited all day for a package coming via Hermes. Original timescale 10am-4pm. Then 4-8pm. Just arrived too late to start anything meaningful

Our latest local Hermes driver can't find the right house, in fact he/she/it can't even deliver to the right street. Stuff has arrived lately via distant neighbours about 3 days after expected. At least I'm meeting new people in my area and fostering a bit of community spirit! All socially distanced of course.

Previous driver Pete was great, lived round the corner and used to own a Stag, so always stopped for a chat about the Triumphs when he was delivering here. And best of all, he delivered on time

Nigel