What's in your boot? Tools and Parts

OKibblewhite

Here is a tip that I did not see above. Sorry if I missed it.

When you buy a new spare, fit it and put the working old one in the spares box. That way you will know that the spare will work.

(I do this with petrol. The new stuff goes to the bottom of the tank and is used first !!!!)

Some new parts are utter rubbish.

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Here is a tip that I did not see above. Sorry if I missed it.

When you buy a new spare, fit it and put the working old one in the spares box. That way you will know that the spare will work.

(I do this with petrol. The new stuff goes to the bottom of the tank and is used first !!!!)

Some new parts are utter rubbish.

Roger

Done that for years but now run out of space. Anybody want a leaking water pump for a mkiv spit before I chuck it, old vert links, brake shoes, dodgy master cylinders?

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2020 at 08:46, classiclife said:

Clive,

IIRC, you have forgotten one of your main items................ the faithful cable tie, well not just one !!

Regards.

Richard

once repaired my old vw transporter gear change with 4 cable ties, it was so much better than standard that i still had it like that driving around europe 6 months later!

Contents of my boot depend highly on where I'm going and what sort of driving I'm doing and which car I'm in.... for the Spitfire:

Pootling around "locally" - spare tyre, jack, wheel brace, screw drivers, points, length of fuel hose, a few clips, bulbs, jump leads, tow rope and some cable ties. I also have a few lengths of wire with bullets or spade terminals on one end and bare wire on the other incase I need to hotwire lights/ignition etc.

If I am (picking an example purely at random) trying to drive all the way round Britain in 48 hours I'd expand the above to include front wheel bearings pre-packed with grease in a bag, big hammer, ratchet and socket set, crow bar.  A decent amount of water (5l), gearbox oil (2l) and engine oil (2l). I also have a small "kit" (spanner, short hose with fittings) that can be used to quickly bridge out the oil cooler.

For adventures further afield (hooning across Europe for example) I add parts that I wouldn't necessarily be able to fit myself at the roadside but wouldn't want to wait a week for them to be shipped from the uk - a drive shaft with bearings etc ready to fit and a gasket set (taped to the inside of the boot lid)

18 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

For adventures further afield (hooning across Europe for example) I add parts that I wouldn't necessarily be able to fit myself at the roadside but wouldn't want to wait a week for them to be shipped from the uk - a drive shaft with bearings etc ready to fit and a gasket set (taped to the inside of the boot lid)

That's wayyyyyy above the standard 'go to the shops or out for a picnic' type of toolkit.. :)

Does anyone remember (used to have one myself) the rentable Continental Breakdown Kit that Triumph used to supply - you rented it out, had replacement stick-on windscreen, gaskets, bulbs, belts, all sorts of great parts, if you didn't use it you returned it and if you did use it, you paid for the bits you'd used? 

• 2 months later...
On 19/08/2020 at 08:54, hugh said:

decent jack

I Had that, when I was I Sprog; Jack, (my Dad) was very decent, coming out at all hours and bringing his tool kit!.

When we had the Vitesse, the (Very Heavy) toolbox lived in the boot, Helped the back end stay down on Bends!.

Pete

• Haha 1