Fuel tank float

Ian Cooper

Hi.

I recently fitted a new fuel tank level sender with nylon float, supplied by Rimmers.

The sender works but in looking inside the tank I noticed the rubber washer/ring, which I'm guessing is simply to prevent knocking when the tank is near empty, had detached from the  float. The first time it happed I thought maybe I'd dislodged it when installing the float, but it has happed again.

I've tried to refit the rubber ring when it's 'soaked in petrol and it just falls off, it's way too big. If I let it dry off its a tight fit so the conclusion is the rubber is swelling due to petrol.

Rimmers sent a sender to tank seal when I explained the problem but thats completely the wrong item (goes nowhere near the 'float').

Has anyone else come across this rubber ring swelling and did they manage to source a fuel resistent replacement please??

Ian

afraid this is cheap nasty crap  not fit for purpose , it is just to stop the float knocking on the tank and best leave it off

the drawing will state must be impervious to  oils and petrol but who ever makes the rubber ring is a plonker , but they have your money 

maybe its made from the crap stromberg diaphragms  some have come across or the disolving hydraulic seals and useless wiper blades 

well its too hot 

Pete

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

it is just to stop the float knocking on the tank and best leave it off

That's all it does, so if you're worried about the float making noises when full or empty, fit a good O-ring round the float - good meaning fuel resistant, not another of those cheap foreign-made things that dissolve in rainwater. 

8 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

Rimmers would supply something which is plainly not fit for purpose,

Send the complete unit back, refund and source from  elsewhere (Canley?), and a negative 'customer feedback' on the web site.  I know all the debates on that one but should make them sit up.

i would suggest the best place for any gauge /sender units is caerbont automotive who actually make instuments to Smiths specifications in the UK

https://www.smiths-instruments.co.uk/tank-senders  example of senders,   i dont expect aston or jag classics to generally   put up with junk 

i used to deal with them on warranty and they were  realy good to deal with 

Pete