Can anyone tell me what this noise is?

Jeffds1360

just to check with the shaft hanging it often  makes contact with the chassis   ,, not when on the road though 

and turning just one wheel you get the noise from the diff gears as the sun and planets rotate , they were never made to be quiet 

can you jack both uprights and turn the prop ,  does the same noise develop ???  one side both sides  or what 

Pete

Thanks Pete. I've just cut the grass and am knackered:) I'll try that tomorrow. 

When I rotate near side there is no noise...????. If I put it in gear then they, of course,  rotate opposite ways, and the noise is there again....

Edited...

Alright...your right :( jacking upright up reduces that noise.  Ijut I am.

Ok. Tomorrow a road test at 5mph with my 40yr old daughter chasing me with a microphone.  :)

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

just to check with the shaft hanging it often  makes contact with the chassis 

You just beat me to it!!

Jeff - tape your phone to a long stick like a brush shaft then with it recording have a passenger hold it out of the window and down beside the rear wheel. If the phone survives, let us hear what it records.

Well, just been under and jacked both links up so the axles clear the chassis and....the n/s inner axle flange into the diff has play and 'knocks. Just a little, but twisting it by hand back and forth I can feel play and hear the knock. If you want a video I need 3 hands!.

the o/s is solid and quiet. Rotating the prop you can see that fractional delay on the n/s rotating.

I'm going for a walk with Mrs and a bit think and then put it on road and record the doomp doomp doomp noises.

Ohhhh rollocks :)

the output shafts have no set float or play other than the tolerances of the ball races 

i would pull the n/s  shaft out, means coupling off   again  , and the fixing hex screws are aligned through the coupling holes  the shaft should just pull out by hand or a little assistance

a spin by hand soon tells if the race has given up.....will be unusual , they are pretty reliable , 

its unsuual for a 13/60 diff to have any shreaded crownwheel teeth or main bearings failed  unless its had lot of low oil running this normally fails the pinion brgs and you get whine  not knocking 

rebuilding output shafts is DIY  but a diff thats a whole more difficult and accurate ball game , 

let us know what the sort shaft  bearing is like 

Pete

if the short shaft bearing has failed it would give the same frequency noise 

to eliminate doubts i would pop it out and give it a spin ,it will either be vaRoom or clickety clac ........slack ???

if you dont eliminate a few ideas its going to haunt you for ever 

youve had  the shaft off so the hub bearing is OK ... or is it ???

Pete

I have had the o/s shaft off and uj done. Hub seemed to be fine. Never checked the o/s 'short shaft' guess that is what the manual calls the inner axle shaft?

I'll bite the bullet and do the n/s uj and check both hub and short shaft. 

How the hell do you adjust the door catch when the inside handle will not pull the catch far enough??? ? replace all those pivots?? or just grease it all and use your shoulder to get out the car :)

Ahhh. !! You are a mine of useful information Pete, all appreciated.  I'll have a look at the picture book and get that sorted.

Still haven't got the V5c for it yet. Are DVLA on a go slow or all off with covid? over 7 weeks now.

why is pete crossed out??? :)

its crossed out as i must have hit the     S ssssss   tab

you asked how the run went  pity only 5 cars  one  went sick  so just  my 2000, a Moss, two Vitesse and an modern great  meal at the garden centre 

cleared the soot on the A505 and cruised past everything  but on a  B road  near home giant wheeled  tractor and trailer coming towards us

and at point blank indicates right and turns directly across me , the mintex hauled her to a stop Phew  but the BMw following had to evade to the wrong side of the road 

and stopped alongside 

what a near miss the tractor disappeared in the field  ......there was some bad language and a whiff in the air ,   we were very lucky .

good end to a nice 100 mile day out 

and HYA ran like a dream , 

Pete

Well I've got the n/s hub off and the caps moving. Giving it a rest 'till tomorrow as knackered. Uj feels pretty solid though. I will replace it however.

When working it on the bench, balanced on the link, the drive shaft rotated freely....but occasionally seemed to jam?? A bit back rotation freed it. I let the shoes of a bit but am not sure yet if it was them or a trunnion bearing problem. There is no play in the trunnion I think?? How can I check?

To get to the Allen keys to remove the inner flange, I guess there is a "sweet spot" to remove the bolts? Not tried yet.

And.... this door handle....oh , enough  Ts ready ATB all.