Tappet noise?

daverclasper

PeterT,

NV=Needle Valve!  Doh!

OK, aren't you transferring your experience of water/coolant blockages to the oil system?   Where "crud" must be most unusual, in comparison.      Do you operate a similar flushing system to the much more highly stressed crank bearings?

Your Highness of Brainier,

With proper respect to Pete, a screwdriver is almost always too short.   You really don't want to put your head close to a running engine, with moving/rotating parts, which I why I suggested a broomstick.   As you say, sound conduction through a solid is better than air and even a long stick will work well.   The exception are sounds from air, rather than mechanical sounds, such as the hiss in the intake throat - there a tube is a better stethoscope.

Peter, thanks for suggesting using a needle valve! 

Laying in bed this morning pondering "life the universe and everything" which included the mass of the valve on the adaptor, I think I'll look at fixing the valve on say the bulkhead or side panel. The installation would then be new flexi hose (1/8npt male to 1/8npt female) from the engine adaptor to the valve and the standard external feeder hose from the valve to the head. That way there will be very little mass on the engine adaptor and the flexi hose will absorb any vibration. This solution has the added advantage of decluttering the area around the adaptor/fuel pump/dipstick/distributor.....! 

As to why I seemingly have no or at most very little oil flow to the rockers is beyond be. The rear cam journal is 3 thou diameter larger than the cam and is round not oval, oil ways allegedly clear etc.....I think the engine has it in for me!!! However I have the Forum as a secret weapon!!

Iain

Pleased you have got it sorted. Top end sounds like a sewing machine, sweet, worth all the effort.

Regarding allergies, a several years ago I developed some food allergies, all nuts, radish, some spices, cheeks swelled up like a squirrel. Skin test also showed iam allergic to peaches, pineapple, tomatoes, and several others, although i still eat tomatoes most days with no obvious symptons. 

Mark

Mark, the tomato thing is weird I never knew about my intolerance until I started eating them every day. All symptoms gone after less than a week🎉🎊. Doctor said I'm not allergic as I don't have the full symptoms only intolerant but even so the effects were quite nasty....and worrying! 

My wife has an egg and chicken allergy, she's never eaten cake! Now her allergy is a real problem when going out to eat, chicken stock is in most jus (posh gravy) and mayonnaise in pre-made sandwiches. We always ask before ordering. 

I am trying a small banana every day at lunchtime and wait for any side effects🤪

Iain 

11 hours ago, JohnD said:

The exception are sounds from air, rather than mechanical sounds, such as the hiss in the intake throat - there a tube is a better

Use a tube for carb balance. Also it did appear to detect two small exhaust manifold leaks accurately, as in the soot marks on face of gasket when removed, corosponded to the cylinders that made a noise through the hose.