Tappet noise?

daverclasper

Thanks. It runs on 99 and has had different fill ups from different areas of the country.

Pretty sure it's not pinking , as had pinking on this car before (more of a tinkling sound to me) while messing with timing, though will try backing it off.

My original shaft was very worn and had some non existent oil scrolls and not delivering oil through the holes on a good few rockers. That was a about 4 thousand miles ago and replaced shaft with a new, though cheapi.

Old shaft didn't seem to be causing noise and I couldn't hear any difference with new one. I assumed that the rockers are always in tension with shaft (on that lower/back area of shaft, that was the worn area on mine, hence no noise), though not dismissing this, as no idea at this point (without stripping it) if the new shaft has worn quickly.

Some how, I think maybe not usual tappet noise, as had that before and like Iain says, I could hear it at idle as well higher revs. 

As I can only hear it while driving it's a bit more difficult to try and pin point it.

Edited by daverclasper

It is rythmical and regular.

I have noticed a bit of a rattle/knock at the bottom, rear of engine with bonnet open. Whipped the GB cover off and louder inside car. Think it's clutch/front of GB area. Dissapears when clutch pedal down.  Will go for a drive with cover off and see if I can get more of an idea if this may be it.

Any idea what this noise may be?.

Cheers, Dave

just been talking to Gully who has been chasing a tappet noise and reckons a pushrod has attached itself to the tappet spherical and the tap is from the pushrod

tapping the cam follower , ,  you need to have the rocker in the check gap position and feel if the rod will lift/ drop the 0.010"  or is it got some spherical lock on the tappet screw 

guess the solution would be a small flat on the tapper screw spherical to relieve the Fit   ?????

gully can read but cant post since the upgrade 

Pete

21 hours ago, Adrian Cooper said:

Gully, can you say more about your sticking pushrod theory? You may just have found the explanation to the mystery noise that has had me baffled for nearly 20 years!

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I'd set my valve clearances and still had one distinct tappet sound, so I ran the engine with the rockers exposed to try the feeler gauge test. Whilst looking along the line it was clear one pushrod / tappet adjuster looked different in motion - the ball and socket of the push rod and adjuster weren't separating. As a result, the push rod was 'tapping' on the cam follower - quite a hard metallic sound. I'm yet to try a solution, but my intention is to take a small amount of material off the ball of the adjuster - it seems to be simply surface tension from the oil as opposed to any form of interference fit between the two parts.

Gully

• Thanks 1

Hi gully. Interested in this as trying to trace a "maybe tappety noise" (although maybe odd, as not apparent, until about 1500 rpm when moving?).

I've never known where exactly usual tappet noise comes from, as in what metal parts are contacting each other?.

Cheers, Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

its run for 50 years and you wonder where tickety tock is coming from 

all that moves rotates ,rocks back and forth , jumps up and down  the list is endless ....i think you could be chasing your tail and unless you spend unlimited £££s 

there is a reality that compromise sometimes happens utopia costs much more

have you  had a passenger have a listen to your clatter to help detect where this is emanating from 

pete

have you looked at the dizzy drive gear endfloat controlled by shiming the dizzy pedestal  they can set up a clatter if its excessive 

you really need someone else in the car to do a bit of ah   well     yes   urm !!!  to eliminate    mechanical or pinking  as you seem a little unsure 

easy to retard the dizzy a bit  if do better put it back where it came from 

not to worry but my first car was a long stroke side valve minx  with some mods she pulled 7k easy and flew around with a odd tap tap tap running really well 

then a piston crown detached     Oops!!    

pete

My old Mk1 2.5PI Estate had a club footed tappet screw that caused me all sorts of grief till I got it sorted. IIRC it was cylinder 6 exhaust
No idea how long it was on the car but depending how it was sitting it would 'drop' the pushrod

It also popped all of its clutch springs but that was a bang each time one went.

Adrian

30 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Mark, Are you are aware that the rocker pads can get dished (quite common I understand) and give a false feeler reading. A way to check if this is happening is to put a smaller gauge feeler in the gap when engine running and any too large gaps will quieten down

Dave 

Mark, if the rocker tips are worn by contact with the valve top then you need to think about using an SPQR tappet adjuster as it will cancel out the wear in the rocker tip

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

then a piston crown detached     Oops!!   

Always a worse scenario in the luring in the background Pete, as well as a it could be nothing drastic?.  I'll take my chances and just look at any cheap/my time options to maybe figure it.

Out of interest, is usual valve train wear the rocker/valve tip gap increasing from general wear , rather than valve rescission closing it (unleaded petrol debate aside)?.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

10 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Out of interest, is usual valve train wear the rocker/valve tip gap increasing from general wear , rather than valve rescission closing it (unleaded petrol debate aside)?.

It can be both. It's not unusual for a certain amount of "bedding in" to happen after new valves are fitted (or the seats re-cut) but that's normally fairly short term. After that it tends more to be wear, although I've done quite high mileages on Triumphs without either being evident.

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Mark  i dont see any oil coming from the rockers  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

pete

Hi Pete

That was the initial problem. You can hear the first start up video on YouTube when it was bone dry. Recon head had gunk in the oil way feeding the rockers. Cleaned out with Mig wire. Rockers stripped cleaned and blown through. Oil can now be seen weeping out of the rocker oil holes, but not pouring. I can run the engine with the rocker cover off without fear of oil going everywhere. Done a few hundred miles since rebuild and after a run the rockers look wet through the oil filler cap, but in the back of my mind I am still wondering if I still have oil supply issues. 

2 hours ago, Mark B said:

Oil can now be seen weeping out of the rocker oil holes, but not pouring. I can run the engine with the rocker cover off without fear of oil going everywhere.

Thanks Rob.

Also Mark, that's all mine does and have wondered myself, as folk talk about getting covered in the stuff.

Dave

Edited by daverclasper