Tappet noise?

daverclasper

the feed is interupted you geta squirt on each cam rotation  so its not a pour it out supply but running at idle for a minute or so shouls give a puddle of oil  at the rear of the head such that too much running will flood over and run down the back of the head 

so yes there should be oil there ,dont be overly tempted to fit the spawn external supply  , if you do seriously restrict its banjo bolt to abot 0,5mm max 

pete

Well I took the time Saturday morning to resolve the push rod / rocker adjuster mating on No. 3 valve. According to my callipers, I removed 0.1mm from the diameter of the ball and it's no longer grabbed by the push rod socket (dry, or oil coated). Most importantly, the metallic impact noise between the push rod and cam follower has disappeared - much happier on the run across to Duxford and back yesterday.

I removed the adjuster, gripped it in the chuck of my battery drill and, with it rotating, worked it along an oiled sharpening stone to fractionally reduce its size whilst maintaining its shape.

Gully

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Well done. A nice free fix.  I wonder what caused it. Had the sphere got distorted, or the rocker cup. A rogue push rod/rocker screw?. Any ideas?.

Dave  

A few years ago I had a noisy tappet that I traced to one rocker not oiling - it was No. 3. I replaced the worn rocker shaft with a new one and used a couple of re-faced rockers courtesy of Peter Lewis in place of the most worn ones from the old shaft. I suspect when the tappet adjusters were swapped No. 3 adjuster didn't go back on No. 3 rocker, so I ended up with a mismatch in wear patterns - the problem being exacerbated by the period of 'dry' running for that pushrod.

Gully 

I'm getting more paranoid by the day! Having spent a sleepless night thinking about oil flow to the rockers, sadly true. I ran the engine with the rocker cover off and couldn’t see any oil flowing out of the rocker arms so I took my reconditioned shaft assembly off and cranked it over for some time. The result was more like a dribble than a strong flow. Car is being trailered to garage tomorrow for checks, they said they can sometimes poke some thin MiG wire round or an air line to dislodge crud. If not and the oil pressure, the oil light goes out quickly on cranking, is ok it's head off time😡

Iain 

remember if blowing down the supply hole in the head   ( under the rear pedestal)  that the cam needs to be in position to allow flow , its a flat slot in the rear journal so it only allows a squirt on each turn ,

to open up the supply to blow or pump through needs this to be positioned to join the gallery supply to the head ,  how you do that sounds like much trial and error of the  "tap "  is turned OFF and the route is blocked 

pete

• Thanks 2

Update, oil pressure is 65psi when hot so the pump seems fine. 

A new billet cam from Newmans was fitted, wonder if that could be the issue? I have taken photos of my old Bastock cam, is this the flat you mean? 

Damn won't upload photo, but it's a  10-12mm long flat area (not a slot) on the journal. 

Iain 

Thanks, it's down to the engine guy to find the fault I'm just trying to help with possibilities. Taking the head off is next to check for oilway blockage. If the oilway is clear then it's either a camshaft out or engine out and strip down. Fortunately not by me! I'll phone Ken Newman tomorrow to get his take on the no flat possibility.

Iain 

8 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Oil should be splattering all over at idle. Is it?

Unfortunately no, there is oil around from misting but no pooling or splattering. 

Should know the answer by the weekend and I'll let you know. 

Iain 

18 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

I have never bought a Cam from Newmans but I do know that their cam grinder is top-tier. I would buy a cam ground on this machine over one that wasn't

I agree Newmans have an excellent reputation which is why I purchased from them. My engine's problem is probably blockage and nothing to do with the cam. 

Iain 

Following this thread with interest.
My Vitesse 6 has similar issues but I can see the oil slowly coming out of the rocker lock screw when I remove it.
My engine had a horrid cobbled up Mk2 rocker shaft fitted when I started work on it during lockdown but I managed to find enough parts in my spares to build up a Mk1 version with similar spec rockers ( I found 3 different sizes/weights and oil holes). Rockers are heavily treated with rebuild grease. Rocker is eerily quiet for a Triumph and all gaps are good.

Oil pressure is excellent after I managed to prime the pump and system and I believe the cam is a standard Triumph one though from what engine I am unsure.

This damned being back at work means the Vitesse is being neglected till I finish the contract that keeps stretching out. Was supposed to be done this month but looking at Christmas and restarting in January.

Jeep up the good work Iain and hopefully you will solve my issue too😉

Adrian

with the unkowns here and a lot of work to solve the guesswork  a exteral spawn of satan  does make a economic solution but it MUST be seriously reduced to 0,5mm or less 

dont tell johnD    !!!!    as we all hate the things but  were there's a will there's a way 

lesson being if you fit a non  std cam check the rear cam journal 

this interupted  rocker oil pressure feed is unkown to many 

Pete

Pic uploaded this time??!? 

This is the Bastock Tr6pi cam I took out. Is this cast in flat for the oil feed? Seems odd as I would have assumed it would be machined. Or perhaps I'm being to much of an engineer! 

If it is then on a billet cam this flat would have to be machined as one of the separate ops. 

All the balls still in the air! 

Iain 

IMG_20201007_165846.jpg