Tappet noise?

daverclasper

I was told part of the problem is that all the parts are chucked in a big pile and they get dents etc on the rotors etc.

I got my last 2 pumps from a fellow enthusiast who chooses parts and measures them all for best results.

Adds a fair bit to the price, but still much less than any rebuild work on the engine.

• Like 1

The code on Iain's gauge is the same as on the gauges fitted in Minis and Lotus, so common enough in UK cars and good for the job. Interestingly enough my Lucas gauge from the Herald also reads about 6 - 7 psi when off the vehicle; it's been off for some years now but the needle does not move about as the gauge is tilted.

oil.jpg.d4241054175caa01f744feac28448599.jpg 07D8A2D6-DAB5-42CA-8A3D-117B663827FA_1_105_c.jpg.41b9c9cf1a63f69f623a860f36acf039.jpg

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

on some there used to be a small screw in the rear to zero the bourdan tube /needle 

have a look  

Pete

I thought the zero screw would be visible at the front?

Bourdon tubes can be very very accurate. Zero use in a control environment. I'm all for electronic ones.

Bad news, the new oil pump has 90+psi pressure when cold and 75 when hot but still very little oil to the rockers!!!!

The oil ways are definitely clear so it must be a cracked block?????

The only solution, apart from a new block etc etc is to fit the dreaded external oil feeder and update the relief valve. The engine guy has done this to a racing Triumph and all seems ok. 

Is it still necessary to reduce the feeder hole down to 0.8mm'ish diameter?

I'm not happy!!!!!!!!!

Iain

I was advised to fit one to my Herald 1500 with a tuned new engine which had Goodparts roller rockers,even with a 1mm hole it filled the rocker box with oil which then filled the catch tank i had for venting.

Could have been blow by by a not ideal break in process but still,0.8 or less i reckon.

BTW my  engine grenaded after 500 miles with water in bore no 2.

Steve

if you dont restrict the banjo bolt then there is unrestricted pressure bleed off from the galleryand subsequent reduced pressure to the crank 

0.5mm has been the normal restriction , you need to tap and pug the banjo bolt bore 

thread a end of a bolt in and drill a small hole through it 

there may be an easier way !!!

but unrestricted oils the rockers with a  serious disadvantage to the rotating bits 

i might have one in the shed already blocked   must have a look 

Pete

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

If you loosen the bolt where the spawn-feed would connect to the head, while idling, do you get oil out of there

No not a lot of oil coming out, the problem seems to be in the block. 

The new relief valve spring is a lot stiffer than the original so perhaps this was part of the problem causing pick up on the mains/big ends farthest away from the pump. 

I will reduce the diameter of the banjo bolt hole. 

The only other option is new block, bore, hone, pistons etc etc