vitesse air filter

Gadgetman

Hi. Not heard of that as an off the shelf, though was there some talk about adapting the air box to accommodate the standard K@N's?.

I guess the needles would still be have to be changed, as the K@N filter is sucking different amount's of air to standard, regardless of the filter box?.

Hopefully,  there will be more info from folk with more knowledge than myself.

Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

Gadgetman, it may be possible to fit K&N filters into a standard box by using a different seal. I have K&N pancakes but do like the original look of the airfilter box. 

I can tell you fitting pancakes made no discernable different to power/torque on my engine. It's really just a matter of looks. Also the standard 6AC needles were still fine with pancakes. 

However for my new modified engine with sorted head, CR, higher lift cam (but same duration) etc the 6AC's run very lean on acceleration. The 7B's, recommended for banana manifolds and K&N's run rich, the engine pulls like a train but air fuel ratio throughout the speed range is around 12-12.5. I have some 6J's which are about halfway between 6AC and 7B that I will try tomorrow. 

I have spent too much money on rolling roads so I fitted a AFR in my exhaust as I knew I would have to play around with needles. The AFR cost less than a rolling road session and the only other thing I bought was an STE carb synchroniser. This way you can try different needles without the £100 per hour rolling road clock ticking! Plus contrary to popular belief there are lots of needles to choose from depending on the state of tune of your engine. 

Peter's right the more you twiddle the more headaches you get but some of us just can't stop! 

Iain 

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

I can tell you fitting pancakes made no discernable different to power/torque on my engine.

Iain 

I remember that a few years back we were being told that stocks of the paper air filters were going to run out, so there was a mad scramble for replacements including K&Ns; re-useable filters that could be cleaned rather than replaced. I did it on both my MK3 and Mk1, but then found that getting hold of K&N Cleaning fluid was more difficult than finding paper filters, so reverted back again and just buy replacement filters when they appear online at a good price. 

I did often wonder how reverting to even older oil and wire filters would affect the running...

Colin, it all depends on how manic you are about particle filtration and where you drive. In a sandy or dirty atmosphere filtration is obligatory. I ran a TR3a with just carb horns and mesh cover, for the small mileages we do it's possibly not an issue. 

Iain