Broken uj roller bearing!

Jeffds1360

Does this happen often? Or is it just me and this d### car of mine.

I guess one from the spare uj i now have will be ok as a replacement?

What a day!

Edited to say that this was brand new and broke either before or during fitting but was not subject to any undue force. Might have a word with supplier.

20200814_153858.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way Jeff, but I am wondering if you are doing something wrong, or I am doing something different at least.

I have been belting UJ with hammers and putting the back in with sockets for years and not had any problems, well so far!

Just can't spot what you are doing different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thescrapman said:

Don't take this the wrong way Jeff, but I am wondering if you are doing something wrong, or I am doing something different at least.

I have been belting UJ with hammers and putting the back in with sockets for years and not had any problems, well so far!

Just can't spot what you are doing different.

Same here......

Tony.

Are the rollers are the same size!. Gee your having fun  I have had a roller come out and trap in the end of the cap. the cap wouldn’t sit home and stopped the circlip seating what a bugger that job was and if I remember I thought about putting another roller in but it was a different size so I replaced the whole UJ again.

Guys guys guys... I'm doing nothing unusual or untoward....... honest...really

I've just had two strange mishaps in a couple of days!!! 

One, the roller dropping through from one cap to other, due to lack of grease in spider and two, a "weak" roller which I cannot understand how it fractured.

Naturally, for one i first targeted the cap that would not sit only to find an "extra" roller but not knowing how many there should be and then finding the other end was at fault ....and now, definitely unusual.  My rollers are the same in both Peter. I too have experienced fallen rollers but the cap then feels wrong and circlip will not go in so...wiggle off stand them up slap grease on and push back gently

I'm pleased some do give them a wack (thescrapman, poppyman and Pete) but At the moment I like to be more gentle and persuasive... I'll build up to wacking them when I do get annoyed  :)

love it really. I've been too keen to get out in it (christened PLUM btw) no sex yet. ...bit like many I know. ATB all.

Needle rollers falling over, who has not had this annoying thing happen. I tried a slightly different method of fitting UJs recently with success. I used a 2oz hammer and gently tapped each cup into place whilst holding the whole assembly with the heavy end on the bench. Yes, you do have to be careful but each cup took about 35 'taps', not heavy, to gently ease the cup into the yoke. I did both sides like this and can recommend trying this. The Club  sells GKN UJs and I can say that I have only occasionally had a needle fall over but then this can happen with whatever brand you buy. I personally will keep using GKN UJs. Don't go for cheaper, you will end up doing the job 2/3 times. 

Ok guys and thanks. I read all this just too late.  :) I just used my Rimmers account to get two non nippled ones, GUJ115 cost 30+. No bad reports of them?

The ANG one that broke was a GUJ101 MG, Origin UK.

The one I broke the nipple was Rimmers GUJ115 (HS194) Classic heavy duty.

I struggle to find my way round the club shop and am not a paying member yet. All my spare coin has gone on bits, so maybe next month. :(

The rollers I used were tooo big!  Even with just 2 in (one broke, one lost) the spider would not enter. Must be a finite difference! What a bummer.

so....spending weekend on body titivating.  Have a good one ATB 

club shop there is a pdf download of the parts catalogue might be easier this gives member pricing 

on the download page   https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/about.asp

then ring and ask Angie pay over the phone   simple dinosaurus method 

if you join ( you should or us helpers come round with a press gang)  its  £6 cheaper if you pay by direct debit 

page 15  18040  heavy duty UJ from GKN   £15

Pete

Well my ujs arrived and I fitted my N/S (did o/s last week) this morning. The 6" vice I got was no use as a 'press' as it has very coarse thread. OK for gripping though. Took half an hour and no fallen needles/pins.

Fitted Link back to spring, fitted shocker whilst jacked up a bit, eventually got flanges lined up and the 4 bolts in and tightened, what a pain I got in my shoulders but I did it! Tried to fit radius arm back but it was "an inch too short :) " so I jiggled about, jack up jack down Twisted this, pushed that but no way any closer than half an inch away.

Having a break now and looking at it, the driveshaft is angled backwards and sitting on the chassis. it only just clears the 'A mount for the shocker. This seems a good inch further back than the offside. Evan jacking it up, lifting off the axle stand it is way back too far The top bushes of both the link to spring and shocker to top mount are at an angle, both bolts in, but slack. Tightening them does not pull the link forward, neither does hitting it with a rubber mallet.

What have I done this time?  :(

The radius arm obviously moves through an arc as the suspension goes up and down so its reconnection will be easiest when its in the horizontal position. Otherwise I think the only thing that could cause serious misalignment is if the spring wasnt correctly seated on the diff (or its twisted in some way) so is that a possibility?

Maybe you could put the wheel back on temporarily and have an assistant use that to pull the axle forward enough for you to get the radius arm bolt in....   

Cheers Johny, spring has not been touched thanks

It's weird this twist ??? Its like the inner shaft is pointing backwards... but it is not. Probably just my ignorance and reluctance to use force :)

I'll try again tomorrow. Back and shoulders done in!

Thanks

p.s. the other side was no bother 

I suggest you take the shocker off the vertical link. The spring is pushing down and the shocker is holding the link up, but they're in different places so the combination twists the link onto a slant. You should re-fit the radius arm first, then the spring eye and then jack it up and fit the shocker.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

What have I done this time?  :(

Nothing, it's normal. This time with the shock absorber removed, if you haven't already,  fit the radius arm loosely at both ends, then manoeuvre the larger mass of the vertical link onto the spring. It takes a lot of twisting / working about to get them to line up, but that's usual for these. Don't use so much force that it pulls off the axle stand. The last thing you're fitting should be the link onto the spring - get a long, heavy screwdriver, put it through the front eye of the vertical link then get it into the eye of the spring bush; by prising the vertical link up, and the spring down, you'll get them to line up. You may have to push a bolt through from the rear to hold it all in place; then fit the correct one from the front and as it goes in, it will push the other one out. Then you can jack the assembly up as required to get the shocker to fit. It may also be easier if you don't have the half-shaft attached to the diff; attach it when all else is in position.

• Thanks 1

Well, after an hour of using what seemed like 2 arms, a knee, an elbow and gorillas strength also nearly snapping my hammer shank I now have a substantial screwdriver in the spring link and the radius arm in place. :)

My lighting is poor so I'm waiting for sunrise...on the road again.tomorrow???

just to confirm that the the shaft was connected during this, so the spring had to be levered UP!