Broken uj roller bearing!

Jeffds1360

your frustration is noted, so we are all now on holiday  !!!!!   something odd and deep seated is plaguing your little car ...but where from here 

can  you safely get her up on stands and run it in gear , and ..........with the other hand use a long wooden handled screwdriver to use as a stethoscope on various parts any rumble will soon be heard ,

dont get it in any moving bits or its a visit to A& E the get it removed 

Pete

Hi Pete, yea, that is what I intend to do later. I just hope it knocks when not loaded.

I know this noise..... I'm sure I have experienced it 40-50 years ago! Cannot for the life of me remember what it was though.

First point of attack is brakes.

At least I have new uj's:)

I had a radias arm that was short after it was off the car for a few days.  Pete suggested chocking front wheels at the front, then driving car very slowly forward.

I managed moving car forward by pulling/pushing the tyre (with a choke/wedge to tap into the back of tyre every now and then to hold it) until it lined up.

Didn't take long and worked a treat.   

Thanks Dave, I got it all back together and now still have the knock.

Colin, I'm 99% sure it is not wheel related. Also now sure it is not brake related.

I jacked up and axle stands under and found that it is the o/s wheel rotation related

The o/s was spinning freely and knocking at each rotation. The n/s was static ??? possible badly adjusted handbrake, never mind... span n/s and it kept going and rate of noise halved, I then held o/s still and noise stopped BUT the wheel tried to jerk out of my hand on every rotation. !!???

Something in the diff? 

I listened but as all joints were rotating I could not get very close, diff itself just whirring gently... I think. Was alone so no one to hold wheels still and trace the noise definitively 

Any clues from this 'jerking', trying to rotate when I held it?

Had enough. Going to sit in sun. This was to be my daily ... fat chance :(

Woop! wife  (non technical) took video added ? No idea how to do this what is url and ... oh bog it. I give up

knockingrotation.html

Ummmmm   I'm pretty sure they are ... I had them all unbolted during my abortive uj replacements ???

What you thinking?... catching on casing??... Its not that sort of noise I don't think.

When my mind calms down, I'll have a closer 'listen' but I'm not in the mood at the moment :)

Keep firing the thoughts at me please. All sugestions welcome

Thank you everyone ..... blaaaaaagh bugrit 

The noise stops when the OS wheel is stationary but the NS is rotating (engine idling in gear?). That tells me it's not anything in the innards of the diff because they're all still working in that condition. The only part of the diff that it could possibly be is the stub shaft.

I'm still leaning towards the hub, whether brake bits or bearing, although noises like that can be something silly like a worn out radius arm or spring-eye bush. How is the trunnion on that side?

Yes it was in 1st at tickover. Thanks. Not sure how to check trunnion but I'll start stripping the o/s hub and get drum off and try and feel what's what.

If it is the stub shaft, I guess its uj off again .

Cheers Kevin ... that's worth a look.but the noise stopped when o/s not rotating so it must be from diff outwards 

Gawd my backs going to be kod tomorrow 

Thank you all.  Keep 'em coming. Pity no members near me. All my old mechanics have passed away  :(

I've just noticed on the video that the pulse noise and a little warped rotation (watch tyre edge) go together.

is my wheel distorted? ...more to investigate! Hope this leads to a successful conclusion and helps others out!!!??? Sorry for filling the forum :(

29 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I've just noticed on the video that the pulse noise and a little warped rotation (watch tyre edge) go together.

is my wheel distorted? ...more to investigate! Hope this leads to a successful conclusion and helps others out!!!??? Sorry for filling the forum :(

Just noticed that myself, and was about to post. It clicks at the same point where the wheel dips. If you've swapped the wheels over already then it can't be that.

Either - the half shaft is bent or the hub is distorted - remove the wheel and watch the assembly in relation to the chassis, for up and down movement. Can you film it for us with the wheel removed?

I haven't switched wheels Colin.....could this lead to an easy diagnosis I wonder. Reet...  that's tomorrows first job :)

reet is geordie for right btw

my phone camera is playing up but the wife WILL do as I ask (I hope)

how the heck could the PO have bent the shaft! ... got a right pup here?

ok all. Thanks a bunch.  Filming starts tomorrow. 

Well the good news is that there is no sign of the shaft being bent. 

The video is probably a waste of time. I did it alone whilst spinning the hub. BUT...... when the wife came back from tai chi, I got her to crank the hub round with the drum off and I got a 2' timber stethoscope,  she lost her chi but I found the noise came from the trunnion not the diff. Phew. 

So.... I'll study the book and find what to do next :). Comments?

you need the shafts on a quick release system   

you should be able to remove the hub( just like that) and drive the shaft out of the bearing /trunion block,  

on refit there is a daft dimension this just pre positions the thing to enable the hub to locate  the hub nut pulls the whole thing into the right position 

there is no register on the shaft to arrest the bearing setting 

pete

Ohhhh bollards, are you guys sure ? 

I suppose it must be the bearing(s) as the trunnion doesn't make noises..... So, what hope have I got of getting the hub off with my screwdriver and hammer??? :)

Where is best place to get what I need? should I get the taper bearing as well? and do the trunnion too?

Guess the summer will be over before I get on the road again :(