Broken uj roller bearing!

Jeffds1360

You'll have a nightmare job getting the bearings off the halfshaft without the correct tools, as Johny says; you'll need, at the least, the equivalent of a hub puller - any other kind of puller will either break, or distort the hub. I've sent mine away to RBMobileClassics, they advertise in The Courier, or if you want to try a second-hand unit it will be cheaper but that will be an unknown quantity.

Have you looked at it with a) the wheel removed, so you can watch the motion of the brake drum, and b) with the brake drum removed so that you can watch the hub as it rotates?

That video was quite shaky; I'd like a much longer look at the UJ as it rotates, if that's possible?

Thanks Johny, I'll look into it when problem confirmed.  

Colin, I'm out going round my old 'back street garages' to see what they got. I checked with drum on and off and saw no movement. I'll video that and get under to vid the uj too. My wife has left me.........for a few days, cat sitting at the daughters and I seem to be Billy no mates at the moment. Do what I can. Report back tonight.  Thanks.

41 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I seem to be Billy no mates at the moment.

My usual state of affairs, unless someone wants something done to their car... it's amazing what you can accomplish on your own, especially without anyone dragging you away to buy useless things or make the tea...

Reet. Bit of a hedge podge and not much of uj but it seems fine. Exhaust is so crackly but you can still hear the doomp doomp doomp. My back gave in. Sitting down now. Old garages shut but still going. I'll call them later. I really need to know if I should take link off again and how to plug the hard brake pipe as bleeding is the worst part!

3 videos to come

There's very slight up and down movement on the end of the halfshaft, by the nut but have a look at the diff end - that's a lot of eccentric movement in time with the ticking - view from about 25 seconds on that bottom video. It looks like there's something in behind the flange that is off centre.

It's not the UJ, but the diff quarter shaft in behind it that's making the noise.

well it seems is going to be wheel bearing of output  shaft bearing 

when it comes to which end to start  i would take the whole shaft and trunion block off as an assembly ...again

the short shaft is easy to remove with a hex key thro' the coupling holes  a spin in the fingers should  give you a clue

as for the hub bearing yes a dedicated puller is a must or you will bend the hub flanges

the bearing is a loose push fit in the trunion block but a bitch of a tight fit on the shaft 

there add on pullers to go with the hub puller that make it easy but they both cost ££s 

i have always whacked the shaft out the bearing with a birmingham screwdriver , support block in a good vice and whack the shaft out you must protect the threads 

with a couple of hub nuts or make a drift to hit the shaft not the threads , they are soft and will fall over.

pete

Anybody want to buy a 13/60 :( .........???  

Got this for a bit nostalgia and a basic tidy up :)

It is getting me down (the wife says)

No No No.... i'll stick at it.          Having a night in with a few cans, taking Haynes to bed.... bit light reading :)

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

I don't think I'm seeing the eccentric movement Colin refers to - the end of the shaft isn't quite square but that's not a problem, and I can't see any movement at the diff flange.

Watch this part at the end:

1698600698_ScreenShot2020-08-21at17_43_27.jpg.8e0e93919a391bc4395858920bdc9313.jpg

Especially THIS part:

336382354_diffclose.jpg.e033f0821824390a330c990e19d48620.jpg

The dark part right at the tip of the yellow arrow. There's something there moving up and down as the shaft rotates, and nothing should be moving in that plane in this area. I've cropped the video to this bit only:

well im not far away  but what spitty  later had 1/2" longer shafts  which would give you a problem 

we need to know  just what  model year its off  they say herald spit  they  think    dont unravel more headaches 

if i collect them i guess ive got to get tehm courierd up norf .

Pete

without checking longer shafts went on late mkIV and certainly 1500  

fit a long shaft to a short shaft car and you get a low and crazy camber 

and from distant  memory  there was simple article in Courier 292  so need to look up the down load 

if you measure the basic shaft length its a something like 10 or 10,5 " tape measured the shaft you  see 

Im off to do Paula's gearbox 

Pete

Try to get a square-on / right angled video as it runs; even lay the camera on the floor or on top of an upturned bucket to bring it closer and eliminate camera shake, pointing upwards, and let it run. 

It's this area that I spotted in the earlier video, as if the cover was bent or off-centre. 

DSCF9542.jpg.911423a268d2c2b1d578df16985eecc9.jpg