TR6 PI Fuel Lines

Paulfc

Hello,

The attached image is of my filter/fuel pump arrangement that has been in place, I’m almost certain, since 2008ish when the car was with a PO. I’m concerned the lines are not ethanol proof but I have no way of knowing. Given that all but the filter to pump lines have no markings on them can I ask the collective for guidance as to what I should look for to ensure I get ethanol proof replacements. Presumably having copper to tubing without clips is also not the best thing? Is the braided line from pump to PRV likely to be Ethanol use approved? What donthe markings on the filter to pump link imply? And, finally, if I have to drain the tank is it simply a matter of cutting the pipe and let the fuel drain safely (with other sensible precautions of course). 

43A39EF3-8C65-431A-A9E8-3E810E2E87BB.png

12 hours ago, Paulfc said:

Hello,

The attached image is of my filter/fuel pump arrangement that has been in place, I’m almost certain, since 2008ish when the car was with a PO. I’m concerned the lines are not ethanol proof but I have no way of knowing. Given that all but the filter to pump lines have no markings on them can I ask the collective for guidance as to what I should look for to ensure I get ethanol proof replacements. Presumably having copper to tubing without clips is also not the best thing? Is the braided line from pump to PRV likely to be Ethanol use approved? What donthe markings on the filter to pump link imply? And, finally, if I have to drain the tank is it simply a matter of cutting the pipe and let the fuel drain safely (with other sensible precautions of course). 

Ethanol is a relatively new introduction to fuel so most cars will have older or original pipes that are not particularly ethanol-proof. Take the opportunity to replace all now - including the braided pipe - with good hoses, the forum experts here recommend Gates Barricade, the Club Shop sells it. 

I've never trusted any kind of hose let alone fuel lines that are not secured with clips, so I'd clip all of them. Draining the tank is simply a matter of undoing the bottom pipe (unless the PI system is vastly different) and decanting the fuel into a suitable container. The less you have in it, the easier! While you have the pipe off you can rinse through with old fuel to get rid of any particles in the bottom of the tank; just make sure you don't put that particular fuel back in again.

Unless the tank is nearly empty, I'd detatch a hose after the pump amd let that drain the tank, into a suitable container.     Make up an adaptor hose so that the fuel can be delivered safely straight into said container.    Brimming bowls of fuel aren't very safe!   The pump note will change as soon as it runs dry, whereupon turn it off, and drain the small residue directly.