The Return of the Roof Issue

Colin

Chaps . . .

Herald 1200 saloon.

An earlier post of mine generated advice that I should not single handedly (and not having done the job before) attempt changing the screen rubbers.

This previous advice re screen rubbers I took to heart meaning also that the rear side screen rubbers are probably just as tricky.

Fair enough. But I want to get to the rear body wing ‘shoulders’ which start under the rear side screens and extend alongside the boot rear deck seam (photos).

I have Lindsay Porter and Peter William’s "Guide to Purchase and DIY Restoration", which describes the consummate ease of removing the Herald roof, but shows a Coupe rather than saloon.

I wondered what or how the rear side screen rubbers are fixed to the lower bodywork (car side) at this point and, if I tried to ease the roof to allow access to the rear wing shoulders I want to attend to, whether they would adhere to the body or lift with the roof removal, however slight that may be (remember, solo working here). Moreover . . . ARE they not refittable by one person? And then there are implications for rear deck rubber and roof header rubber seal issues.

Exacerbated by this is my grinding wait for someone who will do some body welding work coming back to me to say he is ready to do my Herald . . . so should I even bother in the interim, or wait until he can attend to matters, because if I partially remove or completely remove, I may not get it back together sufficiently to drive it to his works thereafter!

All advice welcome.

Best,

C.

Herald Rear Shoulder 2020 07 03 small.jpg

I did a quick internet search and found this step-by-step guide at a site called the Spitfire Garveyard...!

I've corrected some of the spelling but it seems to be all there:

As I already owned a sound Triumph 13/60 Saloon but wanted a convertible, I decided to convert mine. It wasn't as easy as I first thought, not to do it properly, but I went ahead anyway.

First I removed the roof. This is quite easy.

1. Undo the 2 nuts holding the sunvisors.

2. Undo the screw holding the interior mirror.

3. Undo and remove the 2 bolts holding the roof to the windscreen.

4. Undo the two bolts holding the B posts to the body.

5. Remove the side windows and rubbers.

6. From the boot undo the 3 nuts or studs from the rear of the roof.

Now with the help of a friend lift off the roof by gently breaking the mastic seals. If you are happy at this point you have a convertible!!"

on a saloon re stringing in the rear 1/4 window and rubbers is made difficult by the acute angle /pointed corner at the base of the rear pillar , 

i had new rubbers which were aprox 15mm too long so at the B post there ended up some bunching /ripples

to string in you need to really get the sharp corner tucked right into the two flanges and work form there  around    this design of glass is a bitch to fit on any make 

must add your notes on  "i got a convertible"  will also have automatic door opening he doesnt mention the hasp and staple to re stiffen the body shell

or you just get a bendy herald

hows the rain your end  ??

Pete

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

must add your notes on  "i got a convertible"  will also have automatic door opening he doesnt mention the hasp and staple to re stiffen the body shell

or you just get a bendy herald

hows the rain your end  ??

Pete

Coming down in stair-rods here, just working on the GT6 in the garage (got stuck in the footwell earlier, upside down under the steering wheel whilst replacing heater control cables, thought I was going to have to survive by gnawing through the screenwash pipes but eventually managed to wriggle out. Didn't notice the spine going numb as I lay across the sills...)

Those 'convertible' notes are best left as they are ie roof removal; the author couldn't afford a proper convertible but by the time he's finished all the effort of chopping and changing plus replacement door glass, rear trims etc he may as well just have bought one. To be fair he does mention the extra door locks but then spoils it by saying that you can attach the seatbelts to the rear arches just like an original convertible...

http://www.spitfireg1.f9.co.uk/15-02-2005/conversion/hardway.htm

Colin; Pete . . . many thanks.

Yrs, I have been wondering about the rear side glass rubbers (renewal of).

And, don't forget, I only want to lift the lid enough to get to the rust developing on the rear shoulders.

After that, I'll leave to someone with 4 hands and more expertise! 

Best,

C.

In which case... do you really need to remove the rear quarterlights? Tape them so that they remain with the roof when it's raised; you may find that the passage of years has glued them in there anyway so they'll stay put and just need lowered back onto the body with the tiniest smear of mastic....