Just joined. Keen to be Triumphant again.

Hi All.

Just joined.  Been hankering for another Triumph for too long now.  Been out to try 1 GT6 2.5  but that overheated on the test drive. Another GT6 Lovely but by then I found it too tricky to get in and out of being old and fat. A super Vitesse that was withdrawn just as I'd decided to buy, So looking again.

Loads of historic experience with these cars.  My parents, and laterley I, were driving instructors in Letchworth Hertfordshire.  Dad had one of the first 948 heralds and then a 1200 as soon as it came out.  That one was built on the 948 chassis so before the chassis with 2 rings dangling at the rear.  Next the revelation of the 1600 vitesse. and  then on to 2ltr versions.  All used for instruction.  At 14 I was changing clutches, gearboxes and diffs as these took a bit of a bashing in instruction work.  Head jobs and valve grinding etc and just generally getting experienced with how cars work. Dad passed me the 1200 as my first car when I was 17 and I was through the test  and on the road within a few weeks of my birthday.  I tweaked the 1200 with a twin choke webber from a 1500 cortina. (It was on the scrap pile at a local garage as the corner of the float was snapped!  Bit of araldite fixed it.)  I made the adapter plate from layers of aluminium fitted to the original manifold!  The big mistake was mounting it with the float at the back so it flooded on heavy braking.  But, what a difference! I think it was faster than  the 1600 vitesse.  My Dad who was a bit of a racer tried it and was amazed at the difference.  Then a branch exhaust manifold and it really flew.  But the old ironworms got to and it went the way of all steel.

I do like the newer cars but you can't do anything on them. I presently have a fiat Multipla (don't judge me.)  This is just so good for everything. economy, similar power to a vitesse if needed. Flat floor for the crap I move about. 6 seats, even boarded over at the bottom of the windows and made a rudimentary camper for touring.  Sleep underneath. cooker and bikes on top.

But I need to tinker a nice simple traditional triumph.  To sit on the wheel and look knowingly at the plugs, to stone the points, to lift the carb pistons and sniff the exhaust all with an oily rag in hand again!  That 1/8th of a turn on the mixture and advance it 3 clicks at a time without being able to tell if its done anything, that's what I want.

Looking for a Mk1 Vitesse. Ideally with OD.   Don't like the donut rear drive at all.  Or a vitesse estate, even better.

PS I did have a Mk2 vitesse and with one bit of wire under the gearbox cover I disabled the 3-4 OD switch and earthed the relay out through the reverse light bulb.  That made OD available on all forward gears and failed safe to exclude reverse.  Due to the lag while the pressure built up to engage the OD it came in just right on first to give almost 50 MPH!!  The man I sold it to was so impressed he said he'd probably only use 1st and second.  I'm sure it was a joke.

24 minutes ago, Prince Brainier of Meccano said:

PS I did have a Mk2 vitesse and with one bit of wire under the gearbox cover I disabled the 3-4 OD switch and earthed the relay out through the reverse light bulb.  That made OD available on all forward gears and failed safe to exclude reverse.  

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Plenty of cars about so take your time and see what suits best.

I like the idea of that O/D mod!! No intention of trying it, but it's a great innovation.

• 4 weeks later...

Well  I've done it!  Bought a 2L Mk2 with OD in very tidy order.  Few problems.  Gearbox is noisy and perhaps even the OD.  Very driveable and enjoying it so much.  It has a cloth gear stick "seal" and that may be letting some sound through.  Anyone got experience of Fitchetts gearbox refurbs?  I've seen referrals for their service but if I need to spend £12-14 00 I'd like to know the work and running will be very good.  Other bits are driver's door glass which has been replaced with some strange glass that's just too short.  And a passenger side quarter light and runner.  There is a petrol leak somewhere but still returning acceptable mileage, may be a float or excess pressure from the electric pump in the boot.  Thankfully not the drain stub!

Otherwise really good. gas shocks all round SS box,(and probably pipe) servo, minilites or something similar, sun/rain roof (we'll see),  sweet tight engine, posh halogen lamps.

Truly a new toy!

Tony Lindsey-Dean was selling "As New" 3 rail J-type boxes for £1200ish a while ago, so better than a recon.

Or he may recon yours if fault is identifiable. 

Always better to get rebuilt rather than exchange as there is so little good core about you can end up with anything, and with low mileages not notice for a few years, albeit only a couple thousand miles.

just don't have 10 minutes available for a chat with Tony 🙂

I'll keep an eye on this thread; my own GT6 gearbox (ex-Dolomite 1850) has always been quiet but on our last run, as I moved off from parked, third gear started to screech and I mean screech; a really noisy wail. All other gears were quiet, and any selection of third after that was as normal. Now it's got me paranoid... wonder what the availability of spares for the 1850 box is like?

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Im sure you dont mean you started in 3rd  that would make the clutch screech 

Pete

Nope; just accelerated as normally as you can in a GT6 and when I hit third the wailing began, a real metallic screeching that made me think 3rd gear was eating its' way out. It went away in 4th, when next I tried 3rd it was all as normal and has been ever since.

I've a clunk when selecting reverse anyway (when letting the clutch bite) so am back on the lift checking prop and diff mountings anyway.

That has made me very happy! Twas the end of one of our usual 'endurance' runs, down roads that I doubt traffic has seen since the turn of last century, with potholes to jar the spine and shatter the teeth. I thought at one point I'd caught something round the propshaft, but under the car a few days ago there was no trace of anything. I need to work out what the thump is everytime I select reverse and let the clutch out.

On 19/09/2020 at 11:56, Pete Lewis said:

yes add does the gear lever move much on /off power ??

The gearbox is noisy in all but 4th,  Its sort of whiny and slushy, as if the cogs are worn.  It might be bearings slack causing misalignement or partial mesh.  All the syncros work and there is a slight nudge between drive and overurn, so guess endfloat isnt fully under control.  I can't imagine its lack of oil as the OD stills pulls in promptly.  I haven't checked the oil level yet.  It isn't getting any worse as it might with low lube and I've had to see how fast it will go (wink wink) and wound it up in all gears with no actual problems.  The Od has a cyclic beat that is just perceptible but holds drive and OD with no slip.  Lots of hot hot hot air in the car so maybe the seal with the GB cover is poor and that of course lets in more noise.  I have rebuilt a 1600 box years ago so I could do it.  The convenience of a Refurbed box is very attractive and will keep things moving rather than being offroad.  What I don't want is to pay a grand not be happy because the "new" box isn't right.  Its a few years (30) since I had a GB out but I feel confident I can still do it.

its most likely the mainshaft tip failed and a worn needle surface on the layshaft spindle   all pretty normal wear 

if you go to Paula's post you will see what we rebuilt to get it running sweet  if the mainshaft spigot/tip has failed then the shaft is unsupported 

if a circlip has pooped then the stick will shift about on drive /overrun due to uncontrolled end float

a 4 syn box is a bit more challenging than the 3 sync. but quite DIY . with simple tools 

a recon box from TD Fitchetts is exchange is £425 

Pete