Vitesse tyres

I need new tyres for my MK2 Vitesse. It has original steel wheels

Recommended tyres are 155 SR 13, but the Michelins are very espensive

I have also seen 175 x 13 Pirellis recommended, but worry about body fouling and wheel trims popping off with the wider wheel, as well as heavier steering

Can anyone tell me what make and size they have on their car with the same wheels

Thanks

Hello Jeff,

I have 5.5J on my Vitesse and use 165/70/13 - Dunlop Street Response 2; an excellent tyre IMHO in all weather conditions + surfaces.

175 are probably too wide for 4.5J which I think was the original wheel size, but 165 will be okay.

You will get plenty of replies on your thread - it's a common & popular topic, along with factoring the best / closest ratios for the speedo calibration. 

Regards.

Richard.

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

I need new tyres for my MK2 Vitesse. It has original steel wheels

Recommended tyres are 155 SR 13, but the Michelins are very espensive

I have also seen 175 x 13 Pirellis recommended, but worry about body fouling and wheel trims popping off with the wider wheel, as well as heavier steering

Can anyone tell me what make and size they have on their car with the same wheels

Thanks

You mean the XAS tyres? very good, but VERY expensive.

You can use the modern equivalent size, 155 80 13, usually TR rated. Plenty of quality tyres, but for a good compromise, Falken 832 are excellent,especially on wet roads. But most of the quality makes are decent.

If you want fatter, 165/70 will go on your rims, with a slight reduction in rolling radius. 175/70 do fit, but tend to balloon a little on the 4.5J rims. You are correct that wider wheels will make steering heavier, but only at parking speeds. (I have used 175/70 on 4.5 j wheels on a spitfire and Toledo. My heralds had 155 80 13, my vitesse was on 175 70 tyres, but 13inch steel rims.)

• Like 1

i had 175/70 on orig   4,5 rims when i bought her ,  and agree with clive they are a bit ballooned  not that stable ,refitted to 5,5J alloys and they are fine 

many online tyres places give what tyre on what rim  you can see the effects of wide tyres on narrow rims 

like  https://www.willtheyfit.com/  and others 

this is on 175   with 5.5 rims 

Triumph Vitesse - GBD 142B

Pete

On my Spitfire (original 4.5J rims) I fitted Toyo NanoEnergy 155/80-13 as an acceptable budget option. The Falkens are also good. I don't recall what's on the Vitesse but they're a few years old now - I may hit the seven year replacement mark well before they're worn.

• 4 weeks later...