Herald door lock mechanism

Steve C

The N/S door lock mechanism on my Herald is not operating when my passenger operates the internal handle, and I am having to nip around the car and open the door on the external handle, which works with a slight tug. I think the door lock mechanism is probably worn out (at 50 years old it has every right to be...) but neither Canley nor Rimmer have NOS replacements available. Does anyone know anyone who does, or have any demon fixes for this problem? I did replace the driver's side lock with a NOS one when I restored the car, as I had one that came to me with a pile of bits given to me by the company garage, which is why that one has not gone first, as you would expect it to given the greater wear on that side. All suggestions welcome.

Regards

Steve C

Steve,

Take off your door card and take a look at the 3 screws that hold the mechanism in place (the part the handle connects to), the 3 holes in the mechanism are slotted so if the whole thing has slipped forward it won't be operating the lock fully. Loosen the screws, pull the mechanism backwards, tighten screws and try again. This happens to my drivers door fairly regularly.

Worth a try.

Darren