Mk3 Spitfire Door Alignment

Jonah

Hello 

One of the jobs on my snagging list following the restoration of my Mk3 Spitfire was door alignment. The os door is now pretty good but the ns door is a problem

the door kicks out at bottom progressively getting worse towards the B post, Ive removed the bottom hinge and the striker plate but it still kicks out

the sill was replaced on the ns but the installation followed the original line (which could have been incorrect originally). The door aligns well at the top of the B post

Any suggestions welcome please

best Julian 

When you say the new sill "followed the original line", is that at the flange or the very-hard-to-measure outer surface? I ask because most new sills currently available are not the right width and will cause the door gap you're reporting if fitted as they come.

I don't have that excuse for my Mk3, as the flange doesn't line up right either. That's because I replaced the inner sill, too, and didn't notice that the shape at the ends (where it sits on A-post and B-post) isn't quite right.

It would appear to be a wide spread problem. I though that mine was due to not bracing the door gap when fitting the sills but many members have sid that they have exactly the same problem. Interestingly it is only my offside. The nearside is a reasonable fit.

Is it the off side that is the problem for a lot of members? If so that indicates a major production problem in the tooling for that sill from whoever supplies.... well... all the dealers??

Off side is the worst. Near side is not brilliant but no where near as bad. I'm very tempted to try cutting the sill, but looking at it I'd have to free up the bottom of the B post and that looks to need cutting the floor and what would happen round the rear wing. On second thoughts I'll leave alone.

1 hour ago, Julian Jones said:

I’ve noticed that the internal layout of the doors on my spitfire are different, are there dimensional differences between spitfire and GT6 models?

No, the door shells are common. They did evolve over the years - some changes from Mk1 to Mk2, then the GT6 features added, then a more significant change with the MkIV facelift. Most of these changes were (quite intentionally) backwards compatible. This meant a current production door shell could be sold as a service replacement for a previous model car, within limits.

The internal door furniture - window channels particularly - were, of course, different between Spitfire and GT6

What exactly are the differences you've seen?

The layout of holes and apertures is different although both accommodate the Mk3 handle mechanisms

i was wondering whether the width of doors altered by different model, but your answer I think is no. the run out on the os door along the sill to  the B post progressively builds to 10mm, before I chop the sill to modify I thought I’d check the doors

I always thought the door frames were the same (size and shape) and only the skins were altered for the different handles, but it's safe to assume they also altered some of the apertures to access the different items.

Dan's correct about the door seals; I was wrestling with mine the other day - Furflex furred seals but quite heavy bubble tubing - as they're holding the driver's door out by a mm or two. I may go for something thinner if I can identify it.

The door frame differs for the different internal door handles so spit mk1 and early 2 then late 2and 3 and gt6 1/2 then spit mk4/1500 and gt6 mk3, It is though just handle mounts (except very early spit which has a different catch and also B Post) and are the same shape and can be swopped

3 minutes ago, DanMi said:

yes they all sell the tube type which is just too tight. I think as it is the only furflex profile available

Thanks Dan, I’ll try a different profile from Wookiee’s as mine is very tight 

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Good-relations-with-the-Wookiees-I-have..jpg.1fdd603c969e733257d29b6551e55636.jpg

Maybe Yoda can get you discount... :)

That’ll stick with me now just like the UB40 I use to lubricate nuts and bolts!

i blame it on a big thumb, a rubbish iPhone keypad and a need for speed!!!

• Haha 1