Rear bumper and valance removal

Robin

Hi All

I need remove the rear valance on my vitesse but it looks like I need to remove the fuel tank to get to the bolts on the passenger side chrome overrides. Any tips on fuel tank removal and is there a risk of getting sediment into the system when I refill it?

Thanks

Robin

Yes, getting the tank out is a bit of a hassle as there is little clearance.  I suggest you DON'T try removing the drain plug.  You do need to remove the bracket that hold the boot stay, and the filler grommet.  Standing in the boot while you wiggle stuff around can help.  It won't come out however you try, then suddenly, it's out.

See: http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/topic/240-fuel-tank-capacity-herald-1360/

and: http://triumphherald1360.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/fuel-tank.html

Rinsing it out while you can will prevent sediment getting ionto your fuel lines but you should fit an in-line filter anyway.  Normally in the boot, rather than before the pump, although either will do.

C.

Yes, getting the tank out is a bit of a hassle as there is little clearance.  I suggest you DON'T try removing the drain plug.  You do need to remove the bracket that hold the boot stay, and the filler grommet.  Standing in the boot while you wiggle stuff around can help.  It won't come out however you try, then suddenly, it's out.

See: http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/topic/240-fuel-tank-capacity-herald-1360/

and: http://triumphherald1360.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/fuel-tank.html

Rinsing it out while you can will prevent sediment getting ionto your fuel lines but you should fit an in-line filter anyway.  Normally in the boot, rather than before the pump, although either will do.

C.

thanks Casper - so I assume that leaving some fuel in the tank will stop any sediment getting through?

If you move the tank around you will disturb sediment, but as long as you have a decent fuel filter fitted it should be fine. I have a chrome/glass cleanable filter on the rubber pipe in the boot on the fuel pick-up, this stops any debris as soon as it leaves the tank so protects the fuel pump as well as the carbs and is easily accessible for cleaning.

In addition you could take the opportunity whilst the tank is out of draining and cleaning, www.frost.co.uk sell various products to clean, prep and even seal the tank if you feel the need.

The second article that Casper has linked to is mine, I can't tell you how much easier it is to remove & refit the tank without the drain plug. If you get carried away and decide to have the drain removed, be very careful. There are obvious risks in welding fuel tanks so give it to a professional if you're the slightest bit unsure, mine hadn't had fuel in it for a very long time so decided it was safe, but even so I was still a little nervous when doing it.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice

So I think I'll try and run the tank down a bit and then try and get it out with the drain plug in place. Assuming it comes out I can then see if the plug can be easily removed - if it can, is there a shorter drain cap that can be fitted ? I like the idea of welding a plate but that's a bit beyond me.

I've already got a filter in place but that's on the pipe leading into the first carb. If I fit a second filter as Darren suggest, I'm assuming I just cut the pipe coming out of the tank and then put the new filter in place with union clips?

All this just to get the overrider off!

One last question, if I just want to remove the rear bumper do I drill out the rivets and replace with self tappers?

Robin

if you use a tapper then get stainless types , and has to be large enough diameter to pick up on the pop rivet hole 

I have a variety of pop rivet guns if you need to borrow one , and a fair selection of pop rivets 

when drilling use a bit just enough to remove the rivet head 

Pete

I've already got a filter in place but that's on the pipe leading into the first carb. If I fit a second filter as Darren suggest, I'm assuming I just cut the pipe coming out of the tank and then put the new filter in place with union clips?

This is how I've done mine.

post-31-0-62369600-1435079859_thumb.jpg

if you use a tapper then get stainless types , and has to be large enough diameter to pick up on the pop rivet hole 

I have a variety of pop rivet guns if you need to borrow one , and a fair selection of pop rivets 

when drilling use a bit just enough to remove the rivet head 

Pete

thanks Pete