Triumph herald 13/60

I have acquired my herald and have began restoration work. 

I just wanted to put it out there and to see if there was any extra info or thoughts to be had. 

My herald 13/60 convertible was registered in 1965.

Has had one owner from new. Me being the second. 

The previous owner was the company who helped build the bluebird land speed car. 

I know the car didn't actually come out till 67 so still a bit confused why mine is a 65.

Got the heritage certificate and this gave me the the info posted. 

Thanks. 

Yep, as Pete says check the commission number. That's early even for a 13/60 prototype, they came out officially in August 1967 but to be honest I've no idea when the original upgraded style was planned or tested. 

Commission number should start with GE and end in CV. Engine number will probably be GE too.

The body number, that long number on a small two-screw plate below the commission plate on the bulkhead, should end in RET.

Let us know if it's anything exciting!

Ok so it's a 13/60 going by all of those. Good, so far.

I don't want you to risk any kind of data by posting the commission number here - someone could clone your car - but can you let us have a basic idea ie 1***** or whatever?

It's going to be a detective story, finding out how it's 1965.

I recently saw (possibly on the book of farce) a 2000 Mk2 registered as a 1965 car. It seems the Guatemalan authorities (for that is where it had ended up) saw the "BS AU.... 1965" on the commission plate and thought it was date of build.

Presumably that's not what happened here, though.

Assuming the GE1***1 number is replicated on the logbook, and the car is on a "C" plate, then something's is not right.

Car has possibly been exported and when re-imported DVLA made a mistake.

Also possible it has been off the records and when put back on a mistake was made.

There are reasons to make a car look pre-65 for some motorsport as well, so that's may explain the mis-match.

My guess is a cockup when DVLA computerised the records. But that does not explain the heritage certificate. (unless they both share the same source, which has an error) 

I guess you have no original paperwork with the car? Or ask the previous owner?

11 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Car has possibly been exported and when re-imported DVLA made a mistake.

That's possible, as my 1200 Estate had a commission number that ended in 8C instead of SC until I corrected it, so they do make the occasional error.

However the BMIHT Certificate seems to point to an error even before DVA got the registration details.

and then there's the fact you can/could  buy  blank  Commission plates and stamp them yourself 

seems clear  if it was built  on line in 1965 its not a 13/60  

and if its a 13/60 it was not built in 1965   

so some data is obviously got some creep in its authenticity  

a few photo's of bonnet/  boot / seats / dash and engine bay might give us all some better clues just a thought 

Pete

• 1 month later...

Mine is a 1971, (70 build?) and they had already got to GE77****. My guess it is a Typo and it should be 1968? Not an altogether uncommon mistake when computerising records from old(er) hand written documents.? some peoples 5`s can be easily mistaken for 8 and vice versa?.

Pete

Edit:- Data Plates of that era, where often hand stamped, and the youngest apprentice usually got the job!. Not hard to stamp up wrongly?. (Especially Monday morning after a "hard" weekend!)

My GT6 was recorded as a convertible by the DVLA, they readily changed it to coupe some 30 years later when I pointed out the mistake. I regret doing it now, my car could have been famous!  

Old DVLA records are not to be trusted, just look at HowManyLeft, their content is derived from DVLA data, there are, apparently, 500cc, 1000cc, 1500cc  GT6s and a 10 litre.

Doug

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Steve A said:

How odd. I'm looking for my old 13/60 convertible 

....... my name is Stephen Adams.????

Not yours btw as that would be too spooky 

You are aware that if you know the Reg# you can see if it is still logged on the DVLA database. That would give clue as to if it might be "available". Many by now have been scrapped, and Our old Vittese has been on sorn for some years.

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Old DVLA records are not to be trusted, just look at HowManyLeft, their content is derived from DVLA data, there are, apparently, 500cc, 1000cc, 1500cc  GT6s and a 10 litre.

Doug

If you think that's bad, try eBay.

"1973 Triumph GT6, only one on UK roads..."