Slave cylinder piston not that free!

Jeffds1360

I was just nodding off when I remembered I had removed the brake shoes earlier, in preparation for a half shaft transplant in the morning! Ohhh heck... has the piston moved out???

Phew... no :) but my dressing gown got a bit greasy as I wrapped an elastic band round. Wish me luck :)

12 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I was just nodding off when I remembered I had removed the brake shoes earlier, in preparation for a half shaft transplant in the morning!

Don't tell me you're like me - you head off to bed with all done and dusted then later on wake up and think: "Did I....?" and can't settle again until you make sure?

4 am the other morning with the smell of a freshly tiled bathroom hanging in the air I woke up and thought: "where's the water inlet pipe for the toilet cistern?" I was convinced I'd cut it off inside the cavity wall and tiled over it until I checked. 

:) very good boys...................... now  !! back to reality :(

Only got started at 11am and now have a fully stripped half shaft and vertical link on the bench, not bad, 40 mins. Only thing I nearly lost were the adjusters in the brake. Forgot that they just slide out.

Problem.. :) can I heck shift the link to trunnion bolt. Do not want to hit it too hard.     Any suggestions? It is soaking in wd40 just now.

thought my new flexi pipes did not fit (thread seemed different but it was me not being square!!

oh dear if its rusted into the trunnion steel sleeve (almost guaranteed) then its out with a hacksaw to cut the bolt both sides between the trunnion and link plates. Luckily the bolts are usually quite soft so cut fairly easily especially if the assembly is off the car.

Theres now stainless sleeves available or if using a normal one I recommend having a routine of undoing the bolt periodically to move and copperslip it....

Thanks Pete, I'm part committed now to Rippers

Its a BANK HOLIDAY!!!  no one told me :( buugrit bugrit bugrit

Oh well. Tomorrows another die , live and let . rats :)

Hey, I found a copper washer ???? too big for brake pipes, where the heck has that come from??/ it was immediately below the hard to flexi joint as well??/

Edited by Jeffds1360
additional problems :)

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

canley and paddocks are just as quick 

BOLT - 7/16" X 3 3/8" UNF

Pete

True, and fewer overheads, going by the prices. 

How big is the copper washer, Jeff? Some brake hoses are supplied with one that is far too big, and you have to try to centralise it around the threads before tightening, or buy a smaller one elsewhere.

It is a 'used' one Colin, been somewhere on/around the rear hub connections. but not the flexible pipe either end are still on and smaller. This one is 3/4 with 5/8 hole. Had my slave off too. Maybe the flexi to bracket on the hard side, where the locking nut is? before the hard pipe connection? Not going back under tonight :)

Forgot it was bank holiday and emailed Rimmers for prices so feel a bit committed.... 

Any clues guys? I'm putting it back together this afternoon. 

It must be from a fluid joint. Apparently they come in sets of 3, after checking size and searching on t'web

Weird to have 3 ???. I will check all joints on re- assembly. Maybe the PO had left it wedged somewhere??