Lazy Overdrive

Radiation Man

As Pete says, silicone insulated wires are more flexible and robust. 

The other thing is to cable tie the wires to the stick below the bottom hole, I use 2, about 10mm apart to stop chafing on the hole. And leave a bit of a loop (not a whole loop) of wire so there is room to flex. Then somehow fix to the box itself so the wires cannot chafe. Extra sleeving handy too.

3 hours ago, clive said:

Extra sleeving handy too.

Agree! I rebuilt the loom with completely new cables and then covered it in corrugated tubing scrounged from an HGV garage, plus I added a few rubber-insulated P-clips to secure it to the gearbox. It's not going to move and so wear against anything for a few years... I hope!

29 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Agree! I rebuilt the loom with completely new cables and then covered it in corrugated tubing scrounged from an HGV garage, plus I added a few rubber-insulated P-clips to secure it to the gearbox. It's not going to move and so wear against anything for a few years... I hope!

Indeed, but I think rubbing at the hole where the wires go into the stick are the biggest issue. Well, along with the wires being held too tight and not enough to flex easily.

In fact the 2 most irritating OD failure I have had have been the solenoid earth wires on J type. Both sprint boxes too! First was about 25 years ago on the way to teh Dutch spitfire weekend in my mk3 spit (sprint engine!) and the last was 2 years ago on the way to the start of the RBRR. With 2000miles ahead that weekend, I was damn sure I would fix the issue, done in a wetherspoons pub carpark an hour before the off (and after fish and chips) Luckily I saw the spark where the wire was broken as I was checking under the car and wiggling stuff. It seems the insulation goes brittle when soaked in oil long-term. Causes the wire to fracture. After about 45 years... but always at the most annoying time. Anyway, 10 minute fix, and faultless from then on. 

2 hours ago, clive said:

Indeed, but I think rubbing at the hole where the wires go into the stick are the biggest issue. Well, along with the wires being held too tight and not enough to flex easily.

Now THAT is one problem I don't have, as my GT6 is fitted with the column stalk, but I remember it causing bother on my MK3 years ago. I think I still have the incredibly small bullet connectors that Chic Doig sold me to connect the replacement  wiring to the O/d switch in the gearstick. Modern silicone-coated cabling should be better.

24 minutes ago, clive said:

Please educate us. What is wrong with the silicone insulation?

It splits & cuts very easy. Good for meter leads. Bad for anywhere where contact is made. 
Been there. Done it. Seen it.
Sub zero and it falls off the wire.

PS. In a conduit it sticks together & falls apart.
I love it in the open.

Edited by SpitFire6
PS.

Indeed. You don't actually need ultra-flexible for car wiring, even the overdrive wiring up the gear-stick. The problems are down to chafing rather than flexing, so thinner cable is better and leaving the right amount free at the bottom with the rest suitably clipped is the key.

what ever ...........the old wires are not very   heat proof and go hard and brittle 

any improvement aids something which has only lasted 50 years !!!!!

no harness was designed with the life we need but they survive in many quite well , but heat is the main killer  and working movements  of  the wires

age hardens the sleeving to add to the failures  the gearbox tunnel zone  is a good high temperature oven much worse than the engine bay 

any wire is bette than a broken one   

if guys at Ripaults  knew their harness had lasted all these years they would have a party

along with the guys from Triumph  Ha !

we all need something that just works utopia is a step too far in the fun of classic ownership 

serious has no fun included  and  we need some fun 

even when we're  grumpy   Ha !

Pete

• Thanks 1

If you DIY then I would suggest you do NOT use household flex as this melts at a significantly lower temperature (80'C?) than vehicle cable, tri-flex (115'C?), ect. When I removed the house flex from mine I used PTFE (250'C), but this can be a pain to crimp unless you have the proper tool. I think silicone (200'C?) would be fine but I had none suitable. The problem here is that this cable is not double-insulated, so I also used some high temperature sleeving (it probably came from a fan heater, cooker or clothes iron) which I had and ran it right through the gear stick, end to end. This is glass fibre reinforced silicone and effectively double-insulates the wiring, which I think it is perfect for this application. I like the idea of cable tying at the bottom to minimise flex. At the top I covered the contacts on the ends of the leads with heatshrink sleeving and then ran a scalpel down where the switch contacts fit. As if all that wasn't enough, I have an OD logic controller (it's just two relays!) which, amongst other things, puts the gearstick switch on the chassis side of the wiring, so a short is not fatal - i.e. it won't fry your wiring. My OD has been trouble-free since I made all these changes several (10?) years ago.

Cheers, Richard