Toe In or Toe Out ?

If it was tracking alignment I would expect both tyres to have worn as to go in a straight line both wheels have to have the same angle even though it might be the wrong angle. To have wear on one tyre only sounds like heavy cornering on that side or another type of misalignment on that wheel only....

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Wear like that on the outside edge would be caused by excessive toe-in, but as Johnny says, normally affects both front tyres fairly equally

Nick

Thanks Nick now I know it’s excessive Toe In I know what to expect when I check and measure 

Paul 

the effect of road camber makes the side slip wear one tyre more than the other its not uncommon   

it is affected by how square the rear toe is reacting ,which changes the forces along the centre line of the car 

you do also need to check the  rack backstop to TRE  centre is equal on the n/s and o/s rods or toe out on turns is very affected 

trakrite makes a economical and simple one man check of toe/sideslip  ( about £45 amazon) 

search toe in the simple way on here , for the two planks and a tape measure 

and to get the rear toe square just place 6ft of straight timber against the rear tyre and sight its run to the cars sill ,  both sides should be visually similar  | | 

not   | /   

respect the spec which calls for 150 lbs on each seat to set the staic ride height or you waste your time , 

so get rent a crowd to sit in 

Pete

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the effect of road camber makes the side slip wear one tyre more than the other its not uncommon   

it is affected by how square the rear toe is reacting ,which changes the forces along the centre line of the car 

you do also need to check the  rack backstop to TRE  centre is equal on the n/s and o/s rods or toe out on turns is very affected 

trakrite makes a economical and simple one man check of toe/sideslip  ( about £45 amazon) 

search toe in the simple way on here , for the two planks and a tape measure 

and to get the rear toe square just place 6ft of straight timber against the rear tyre and sight its run to the cars sill ,  both sides should be visually similar  | | 

not   | /   

respect the spec which calls for 150 lbs on each seat to set the staic ride height or you waste your time , 

so get rent a crowd to sit in 

Pete

Pete do I need renta crowd with the trackrite?

Paul 

well yes   the toe spec in the vitesse  WSM is static loaded   this just sets the wishbones and god nows what in its average running position , the toe changes as the 

load and ride undulations happen so static is the midpoint .of all the ups downs and rolling 

get some bags of compost so the mrs  can use it afterwards  ha !

i could bring my kit to duxford and do checks but rent a crowd 6ft apart may be difficult ... needs a roof rack ????

edit  the GT6 WSM gives some unladen specs  , need to print these out as theres around 2-3 mm difference , 

which is exactly why setting to a static spec when unladen just gives you tyre wear , just what you will get from any tyre place who dont have the correct specification  you pay to have it reset then return in a year as youve scrubbed the tyre out 

diy and get it right    its easy  

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Purchased the Gunson Tracrite 

DBA12BC8-17CD-4302-94D6-7A63A719278D.thumb.jpeg.130fa937d374a36901acc42c30bff433.jpeg

From previous comments I was expecting excessive Toe In This turned out to be correct 

E98F8455-A67A-41FF-AC72-0215EC3B8AB8.thumb.jpeg.57b875709dcc2458047f79c5c5531126.jpeg

Jack up the wheel loosen the track rod with 3/4 AF holding the track rod in place with a 5/8 AF . Add tape to show how much movement you have made . Slacken off steering rack gaiter 

B180196D-F34C-4C1A-8873-12CF331999D9.thumb.jpeg.4701342dcfe8de07d92a0dabb9fb436f.jpeg

2.5 turns and tighten up , settle and retest 

351B9E4F-C780-4DEC-8E3A-9912F58CC830.thumb.jpeg.64a94ed63373e9bb6b6df83948a13537.jpeg

Now within tolerance 

Thanks for input 

Paul 

8929E5FB-9B04-4CB9-BC6A-60561DAD9B58.jpeg

• Like 1

no need to jack her up but its best if you have a passenger in at the time  

back to the olde 150lbs on each seat mode 

so stick a passenger in and see if it needs a small change 

if you drop the trakrite all the plastic rollers popout and the needle becomes un hitched , but a bit of head scratch and a cuppa and it all springs back together 

if it gets over stroked the needle will disengage , you will see its a shaped washer that needs to be slid in place on the tyre board it might take a few goes to win 

but a cheap and easy bit of kit will save you £££s of tyre wear       #

whats the back like ????  rear toe errors will make it bunny hope on pot holes etc 

Pete

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

no need to jack her up but its best if you have a passenger in at the time  

back to the olde 150lbs on each seat mode 

so stick a passenger in and see if it needs a small change 

if you drop the trakrite all the plastic rollers popout and the needle becomes un hitched , but a bit of head scratch and a cuppa and it all springs back together 

if it gets over stroked the needle will disengage , you will see its a shaped washer that needs to be slid in place on the tyre board it might take a few goes to win 

but a cheap and easy bit of kit will save you £££s of tyre wear       #

whats the back like ????  rear toe errors will make it bunny hope on pot holes etc 

Pete

Haven’t checked the others yet too warm today. 

Paul.