Late 1600/6 Accelerator Pedal - Again!!

martyn wright

Hi All!  As my previous message, I could not find a (Late)1600/6 Pedal, so have decided to modify the (Cable Type) one that I have by taking the bracket off and fitting a new correct style clip onto the back of the footplate.  First I need to find the angle?  The holes for the bracket that screws to the floor and sets the angle were the footplate should be in situ, are Missing as the footwell is NEW!  (there are NO holes to guide me).  Does anyone know or can measure from the front of the footwell back,  and from the door side in??  So I can get on!  Or am I doing this the wrong way??

One Exhausted Person

Am I wrong in thinking that both the Herald pedal and the Vitesse pedal are the same, but the Vitesse is rod operated and the Herald cable? In which case they both use the same mounting bracket (certainly suppliers seem to be providing the same for both Herald and Vitesse?)

I can provide the location for the holes in the Herald floor, which i'm hoping should be the same as the Vitesse floor, if anyone can confirm that they're the same?

Early Vitesses were rod operated - certainly up to 1967 2L Mk1 like the one I have now - but later ones were cable - from some time in Mk1 production as my 1968 Mk1 was like that. I don't know whether very early Heralds also had rod. The pedals are different in that the  original rod type has a long c-clip to pull the rod back up, while the cable type has a bracket for the cable to attach to. It's certainly possible to build up a pedal with both and it would probably fit fine, but the pedals on my two Vitesses were/are not like that. Similarly, I believe there were originally at least two different mounting brackets, but it should be possible to fit the later one on an early car.

As to the question at hand, I'm fairly sure the pedal location in the floorpan is common across all variants. It's also fairly tolerant as my "drilled by guesswork based on the rusted remains of a non-original floor" holes work absolutely fine.

Hi!  Thanks for the help!  The "Late" (July 66-Sept 66)1600/6 and the early mk1 2Ltr have the Rod set up with a long "C" Clip, mine had that but went off to be restored/welded, and when the car came back, it was a lot of the bits in a box?   I did not notice that the footplate(Cable type) was not the same until I came to put the car back together.  However, the "Early" 1600/6 had the "Cable" system.  I have taken off the top Cable bracket and was going to fit a piece on the back of the plate which would then attach to the pedal.  I have the bottom swivel bracket which screws to the floor!

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Pete!  Yes! my "Later"  1600 has the "Rod" System and when the car went for renovation to Hereford, it was stripped and on the return of the car the Rod system was in place,  but in the box of bits , the "Foot Pedal" was the wrong one for the car(A Cable one) and I cant get the proper one back as the Chap died and the business sold!  I have looked for a Foot Pedal but cannot find one!  So I have removed the "Cable Fitment" and will try and fit the "Clip" to the back of the foot pedal to match the rod system.  But as I had a new floor fitted the holes are missing to locate the lower bracket which fits to the floor?

Cheers

Martyn

31 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

But as I had a new floor fitted the holes are missing to locate the lower bracket which fits to the floor

Your new floor should have the same contours as the original, so do these pics help in determining where it goes, according to the channels in mine?

3B91064F-70EB-4F0A-B7E1-6C843C67CDDD_1_105_c.jpg.257c82c6092bf8b1d2c6d2ebe307def0.jpg B605274D-C989-40C2-9125-1B6538EA7F1E_1_105_c.jpg.ce944ed7338041c8ed68f2f6f09e120d.jpg

8 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Thanks Pete!  I can work from that?....  Would you have a picture of the "Clip" that is on the back of the foot pedal by any chance?

Kind regards   Martyn

Here’s a pic of a pedal which came as spares when I purchased my vitesse not sure what’s it off though others will confirm if the clip is the same . If it is the pedal clip you can have it if it helps 

Paul 

Hi Paul!  That is off The Herald and very early Vitesse?   and is the same one as I had mistakenly returned in a box after restoration?  I have now taken the "Cable" fitment off and am about to fit a Clip style onto the foot pedal which connects to the "Rod" system on my 1600/6 (the correct one)?

Many Thanks Martyn