Security alarm advice

Paul H

If you want a very simple one go for the household variety that hangs on a door knob; you can hang it on your inside door handles. Goes off when the door is opened. Not remote, though.

This one is remote; detects voltage drop form the battery when a door is opened. One-wire fitment, apparently.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNWT-Car-Alarm-System-Universal/184420584047?hash=item2af052ca6f:g:iosAAOSwiVpfEDrB

There are many cheap and maybe not so cheerful oriental alarms on fleabay. Hope they are better than the sparkrite4000 electronic ignition, and the radio with no programming instructions that I got last year. I am still using my vintage Moss 602 (I think) alarm which works well until the battery runs down and then it goes off without warning. Due to the low current it sounds like a very loud, animal in pain, but even worse, it won't turn off.

2 hours ago, ahebron said:

German Shepherd Dog?

A former colleague of mine was selling an old Jag XJ6. He had an inquiry from a member of the Moscow Circus, who were in town at the time. While the chap was looking round the car, my colleague chatted to the interpreter. By way of innocent chatter, he asked what the insurance would be like on an XJ6 in Moscow.

"Insurance?" the interpreter replied, "Ha! Is cheaper to pay man with gun to guard it!"

• Haha 1

I recently fitted an alarm to my Vitesse. Wanted something straight forward. Ended up buying an unused boxed Selmar alarm from the 60's. Works off the courtesy lights on the doors and I added switches to bonnet and boot. Mecanical pendelum for shock detection. 

In my case this became more complicated because I have an FIA cut out on my car which caused complications, and in the end ran independent switches and siren separate from the cars loom.

It came with a Key switch to arm/disarm, which I tried to replace with a stand alone  Key fob and receiver which I was unable to get to work, so fitted the key switch discretely. Works fine. Had a similar Selmar fitted to a Spit in the 80's, worked really well, but I do recall having to adjust the sensitivity in strong winds.

Mark

20200612_143551 (1).jpg

• Thanks 1

Went for it and spent £13.86 on 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-Alarm-Security-System-Anti-Theft-Burglar-w-2-Remote-Control/153276517670?

E5DC836D-025D-4E9B-AF83-95812E464902.thumb.png.4a66cf68816d3d38529d03f4cad5e80a.png

Its simple to fit with just 2 wires , and works on an adjustable sensitivity switch . Hopefully it’s nice and loud as hoping it will fit underneath the Drivers seat . Here’s hoping I don’t forget to deactivate 😱

Pete , I did check whether a free COVID virus would be included, apparently they have run out so including a free vaccine.

I will report back when the alarm arrives from China , approx 1 month

Paul 

I like the "non destructive installation" comment on the manual cover. Reminds me of that wonderful scene in  the Bond film (I think) 'For Your Eyes Only' where you are shown a sticker on the glass which says that this car is protected, the thug smashes the glass and the car detonates.

at our pub meet last night we had a first visit from Greg in his Vitesse , 10pm leaving ...it would not start so a good few all peer under the bonnet and we decide

no spark , its got a cheap electronic unit , Oh Ah  maybe , i said we need to check the coil is being supplied,....then inspiration took hold

and he switched his forgotten hidden imobiliser switch to ON and varooomm !!!

he was close to calling recovery ...

security is a wonderful thing , 

Pete

16 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

at our pub meet last night we had a first visit from Greg in his Vitesse , 10pm leaving ...it would not start so a good few all peer under the bonnet and we decide

no spark , its got a cheap electronic unit , Oh Ah  maybe , i said we need to check the coil is being supplied,....then inspiration took hold

and he switched his forgotten hidden imobiliser switch to ON and varooomm !!!

he was close to calling recovery ...

security is a wonderful thing , 

Pete

I also have the 'T' shirt for this 🤫

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2020 at 19:45, Paul H said:

Went for it and spent £13.86 on 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-Alarm-Security-System-Anti-Theft-Burglar-w-2-Remote-Control/153276517670?

E5DC836D-025D-4E9B-AF83-95812E464902.thumb.png.4a66cf68816d3d38529d03f4cad5e80a.png

Its simple to fit with just 2 wires , and works on an adjustable sensitivity switch . Hopefully it’s nice and loud as hoping it will fit underneath the Drivers seat . Here’s hoping I don’t forget to deactivate 😱

Pete , I did check whether a free COVID virus would be included, apparently they have run out so including a free vaccine.

I will report back when the alarm arrives from China , approx 1 month

Paul 

Well the alarm arrived well within schedule and so far a 100% rating . I’ve installed it against  the cabin fire wall to the right of the steering wheel. I like having it not on view and the rules say the alarm doesn’t like getting wet . Only issue was the fuse rating . I removed the inline fuse and connected to a bladed fuse box . The pink coloured blade fuse was pink so assumed incorrectly it must be 4 amp . There were no ratings on the supplied blade . Needless to say the 5amp fuse blew and the fuse failure light turned on . How does that work ???? . Anyway added the supplied fuse and the alarm works . It’s very loud indeed . Supplied with 2 key fobs the alarm is fully controllable . Click to alarm and a bleep says it’s armed . Open the door and the alarm goes off . The alarm had 7 sensitivity settings and the default is 4 which is fine so slamming the door will certainly trigger the alarm. When it goes off there are 3 bleeps to start with then If after 6 seconds the alarm is still triggered a 30 second blast follows . The key fobs can test or cancel the alarm at any time . I can set the alarm from a good distance as well . Wiring is just 2 wires 
All for £13.86 delivered . Just noticed the price is now £13.93 😱