International Liaison

John Lay

In case you're wondering why this new heading has appeared, it's because of us - John Lay and Jess Smale, the new International Liaison Secretaries!

We have quickly appreciated just how important the Forum is to members outside the UK and wanted to create an area where international news and events could be discussed, in parallel with all the technical streams.  It should also give a space for questions about travel and other matters.

We might even find a few stories that could be featured on the International page of The Courier.

If you would like to contact us directly, just email us on international-liaison@tssc.org.uk 

Cheers

John and Jess

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Thanks John & Jess for taking the role as International Liaison Secretaries!
This forum is such a great benefit for club members not living in the UK. We cannot attend local meetings at the pub, but here we can meet other club members and chat about our cars or get advice. Most car clubs today struggle to survive since members are getting older and it is difficult to recruit new young members. The work done by International Liaison Secretaries is a good opportunity for TSSC to recruit more new members abroad in order to secure long term survival of the club. Thanks for your support for club members living abroad, much appreciated! /Roger

• Thanks 1

Kastner Cup 2021

After great enthusiasm from this side of the Pond to enter the 18th Kastner Cup race, at the Mid-Ohio Raceway, this year we were prevented from attended by Covid.     The race was held despite that, and was considered to be one of the best ever:  

And now, the Friends of Triumph have announced the details for the 2021 race - July 22-25, 2021 at Portland International Raceway. 

To remove any doubt that's Portland, Oregon!

No doubt all those who were frustrated will want to go next year, and any other UK Triumph racers will be most welcome.   Shiiping the cars to the US by container was the popular method (few chose to drive there) so the more the merrier!

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I got curious how many ”international” members we have here on the forum. In the section ”Browse, Members” we can search the community and if you click ”+More search options” then we can search members ”location”. A quick check shows that we have members from the following countries here on the forum:

USA: 10 members
France: 11 members
Belgium: 7 members
Germany: 7 members
Austrailia: 11 members

The list goes on, and given the fact that most members probably dont bother to fill in the "location" field in their profile there must be many more international members here! Some proper statistics from would be interesting to see. I think there is a huge potential for the club to grow and recruite new members here.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, John Lay said:

We might even find a few stories that could be featured on the International page of The Courier.

If you would like to contact us directly, just email us on international-liaison@tssc.org.uk 

Cheers

John and Jess

Consider it done! I've been sitting on a few Herald stories from far-flung parts of the world, so I'll forward them on for your perusal. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Roger said:

I got curious how many ”international” members we have here on the forum. In the section ”Browse, Members” we can search the community and if you click ”+More search options” then we can search members ”location”. A quick check shows that we have members from the following countries here on the forum:

USA: 10 members
France: 11 members
Belgium: 7 members
Germany: 7 members
Austrailia: 11 members

The list goes on, and given the fact that most members probably dont bother to fill in the "location" field in their profile there must be many more international members here! Some proper statistics from would be interesting to see. I think there is a huge potential for the club to grow and recruite new members here.

Interesting stuff Roger - thank you.

Hopefully the difference between the number of TSCC international members and the number of Forum international members is down to people not filling in the location field.  Otherwise, compared to the Club register, the numbers you report suggest about 30% of our French, American and Belgian members are missing from the Forum, along with a very substantial 70% of our German members.  By comparison, Australia represents pretty much a full sign up to the Forum.  

I'll say no more at this stage, as we might have a proper look at this and drop a few statistics into The Courier one month

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Quick post to ask if anyone has a few pictures, snippets or even reports that we might include in The Courier over the next few months?

Hopefully you've enjoyed the first 6 months of reports we've managed to bring you - and I'm sure you're going to enjoy the February one too - and we'd like to keep them coming, so please let us know, whether you're:

• Locked down in the UK and would like to share tales of travel in better time
  • Locked down elsewhere and would like to share tales of travel, observations on the classic car scene around you, or just on your Triumphs (whether project or pristine), or
  • Fortunate enough to be able to get out and about

An email, with attached pictures, to international-liaison@tssc.or.uk will always be welcome - get your car in print!!

Thanks for your reports in the Courier John, interesting to read. Unfortunately I have no updates or photos to share at the moment. There are many Triumph clubs abroad, most of them very small compared to TSSC. A report about some of these clubs might be a subject in the future? Just a thought. The club "nearest" to me is Triumph Club of Sweden

Im not active in TCS but I guess most countries in Europe has at least one small Triumph Club and there are several in the US.

John,

In  early 2019 I had an email from Clive Robinson in South Africa, he's in  the SA Triumph Sports Car Owners Club and was coming to the UK on holiday. We were the nearest TSSC area to his visit and he made it to the Shire Horse in June.  Here are some pictures of one of their events. Clive has a MK1 Spitfire (second along in the first picture). His club area has 65 members with Heralds, Spitfires, TR3s to TR8s, a Mayflower and a Roadster. GT6s aren't popular due to the climate! And Spitfire hoods are raised to protect from the sun rather than rain. But also due to the climate rust is almost unheard off.

I shall drop him an email to see how they're getting along.

If you want to use these pictures I can email them.

SA1.thumb.JPG.c99e7dc739986e9ca141d82b3d40a8fb.JPG

SA2.thumb.JPG.f5b6f273f450757359fce81d4918fa97.JPG

SA3.JPG.3b17d5563f4d06b4106fa5275d4d022c.JPG

SA4.thumb.JPG.af805db0aec6517669d87ad88b5e7e27.JPG

Doug

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2021 at 12:46, dougbgt6 said:

John,

In  early 2019 I had an email from Clive Robinson in South Africa, he's in  the SA Triumph Sports Car Owners Club and was coming to the UK on holiday. We were the nearest TSSC area to his visit and he made it to the Shire Horse in June.  Here are some pictures of one of their events. Clive has a MK1 Spitfire (second along in the first picture). His club area has 65 members with Heralds, Spitfires, TR3s to TR8s, a Mayflower and a Roadster. GT6s aren't popular due to the climate! And Spitfire hoods are raised to protect from the sun rather than rain. But also due to the climate rust is almost unheard off.

I shall drop him an email to see how they're getting along.

If you want to use these pictures I can email them.

SA1.thumb.JPG.c99e7dc739986e9ca141d82b3d40a8fb.JPG

SA2.thumb.JPG.f5b6f273f450757359fce81d4918fa97.JPG

SA3.JPG.3b17d5563f4d06b4106fa5275d4d022c.JPG

SA4.thumb.JPG.af805db0aec6517669d87ad88b5e7e27.JPG

Doug

Would be great to use these Doug - many thanks.

Could you ask Clive for a few words to go with them? Pr maybe message me his email address and we could pick it up from there?

I'd be happy to mail him a copy of The Courier it appears in, of course.  We currently have no South African members, so it would be great if we could pick up one or two this way as well!

Cheers

John