updates changed the layout 4/9/20

Pete Lewis

10 minutes ago, KevinR said:

Header next etc no white and the notification bauble now red !

The Author button on a post in a thread identifies who started the thread in the first place

White and red looks better for me. Not sure the author's name is very beneficial as this is included in the masthead/header on mine,

1 minute ago, Badwolf said:

Wow, what just happened, a load of thread info just appeared. Is that you Kevin?

No, that's what automatically happens when a thread hits 3 pages long - I'm experimenting turning it off for mobile devices (which Scrapman is testing for me) as it takes up screen width and on a mobile device it could be a problem.

No way of disabling it on a normal computer display - but I can set it on the left instead of the right - try the TSSC 3 theme !

Kevin - For your info. This is my normal layout

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/discover/12

Which only lists the last 4 weeks of posts. I set it up as I was having problems with what looked like, all 200+ pages being loaded into memory every time I changed thread and took forever to refresh. It dosen't have any info in the RH margjn, plus it displays the avatar of the last person posting which I find useful.

24 minutes ago, KevinR said:

No way of disabling it on a normal computer display -

Which is a shame as I find it annoying. I guess the authors of the software think everyone is obsessed with meaningless "stats" but I prefer my forums to be content-focussed and the wasted space bugs me, especially as it's only on some threads and not others.

Still, while I haven't really noticed any improvements in this update, at least it doesn't seem to have broken much. So by unwanted forced software update standards it's a pretty good one.

• Like 3

is there a way to prompt members to add location and what car into a avatar display so advice can be steered 

to help in a more practical way ie remove the crystal ball syndrome 

not all add these simple clues in their signature 

saves the ever ongoing where are you   and what is it  ???

pete

8 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

How about doing something constructive like getting red rid of the > ten year old home page?

Now that does need some work.

Some suggestions as to what to replace it with might help Kevin a little. I don't find it a problem, as I have preset search parameters and don't go through the 'home page' As for the masthead, its like any corporate logo, really for id only. I'm more interested in the content than the pretty pretty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

not all add these simple clues in their signature 

And... as I've requested / hoped before - can we limit the size of the signature?

Certain other Triumph forums have signatures that are over HALF THE PAGE long, and I don't see why we need someone to post one line, or even one word - 'thanks' for example - and then add their entire life history and all of their cars below so that we have to scroll down through it to find the next post! One signature I've just read is 38 lines long and the owner has posted three times on the same page, so that's 114 lines devoted solely to himself in between which we have to determine the actual point of the post, and when everyone does it it just eats up pages with repeat information. Please use the 'profile' section at the top right!

I think the short answer is yes, it is very difficult if not imposible to create anything that everyone likes. The amount of work to keep this one up to date will be considerable especially with updates. I for one, am very grateful for the superb resource that we have along with the community that it has generated. Compared with other forums it is top of the class. It will never be perfect for everyone, it can never be as long as we are free, individual and open minded. But it is good, the people behind it maintain it out of the goodness of their hearts, at no charge. You are, of course, free to start any other forum of your choice, that is the nature of free will, but I for one, am very happy here. If anyone should agree with me, please click on the heart button.

Its Sunday, sermon over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After the initial shock of the changes I'm getting the hang of it.

It is impossible to have something that everyone likes. Think about it, we don't all have the same model of Triumph because we are different and want different things from our cars.

I take my hat off, well I would if I wore one, to all those who put the time in to keep things working 👏

• Thanks 2

why change , this has many options to give a variety of displays to suit most users needs 

like many on line stuff its never giving you the what this does or would you like this you have to poke and prod around when yore just a button pusher none are intuative for the dinosaurs 

but i manage ok  maybe if you have the intuition and skills  some help with what we have would be better use of 

skills available ???

Pete 

• Thanks 1

I have no issues with the update....EXCEPT a real hatred of "lost space" on a page. So the stats box on the top rhs wastes almost 1/3rd of the page. If you need a stats bit, can it not be a header or footer so posts can be full width? There has been a real kickback about another website where much of the page is wasted.

• Like 1